Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How comman is it to bust exhaust manifold bolts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, My 1976 K5 has the original exhaust manifolds on it. I doubt if they've ever been off. I plan on installing some Thorley Tri-Y's befor winter. I was told that I'll break the bolts. I've never had one break off yet, but is this a comman problem ??? Would I be better off paying a shop to do the work ??? I'd kinda feel bought not built if I did. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: How common is it to bust exhaust manifold bolts.

spray them down with some good penetrating oil first because yes they are easy to break off /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

spray them down every night when you get home and let them sit overnight. do this for a week before you get started.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It's as common as tying shoe lace's, age, time, rust, heat, weaken them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree about soaking them constantly with stuff, but also try removing them with the engine hot.

Amazing how well that works sometimes.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

what are you guys talking about...take it into a muffler shop and let them dick with it...be the best $150.00 you ever spent if you have never had them off. Then sit in their lobby and drink a cold one while the poor bastard who gets your truck to work on has a long talk with god! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: How common is it to bust exhaust manifold bolts.

[ QUOTE ]
    Then sit in their lobby and drink a cold one while the poor bastard who gets your truck to work on has a long talk with god!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i just don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

sorry, I have no faith in the schmoe's at any local garage. I'll take the money I would have spent in labor and put it in the D60 fund.

9. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

See, at our shop if we break a bolt its our problem. Not the customers. They dont pay any extra labor for the time we have to spend taking out the broken bolts. So going to a shop is not a bad idea. Unless they dont have a flat rate for headders.

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

tell them you just want the first half of the job done. . . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OHH!! and when you remove them, if they are tight at first, and when you pull they don't move, SLOWLY add pressure, don't jerk the ratchet. AND DO NO USE AN IMPACT WRENCH. . . like it would fit in there anyway. . .

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 454, I broke off 5 exh. mannie bolts taking the old ones off....and that was a 1992 motor /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I just waited till I had the heads off to drill them and use an easy out...

Chris

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    OHH!! and when you remove them, if they are tight at first, and when you pull they don't move, SLOWLY add pressure, don't jerk the ratchet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do impact guns work so well? (yes they put out a lot of force, they also don't just twist the fastener, it "hammers" it.)

This is personal opinion, but the BEST course of action with a stuck bolt/nut is USUALLY to sharply rap the ratchet with a hammer to break it free of any corrosion. Just a hard enough hit to move it a slight amount. Not enough to snap the bolt.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

that may be so, but when we removed those off my friend's 83 k10 the two we broke we broke by 'impact' loosening... the others we slowly added force till we fet like it was going to break, then let of and added force, apparently this broke up the rust slowly and after the frist two none broke. that's just personal experience, it's entirely possible that's a coincidence. if i had to guess, i'd say you are probably right, you are more experiencedthat i, so, to whoever asked the question initially (i forget /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) listen to him.