Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How could Discount tire effect my brakes

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by justhorsinaround, Nov 13, 2003.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I posted this in the Garage as well so if you're reading this twice I'm sorry. I took the Blazer to Discount Tire to get the tires balanced and now the brakes drag and there's a grinding noise while I drive. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Allan

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My professional opinion. ( I am the senior tech at my discount tire) The rubbing you describe is usually due to having aluminum rims and the tape weights are placed incorrecly. They should be as close to the center piece as possible, or the clip weights are hitting the tie-rod-end. Just jack up one of the fronts spin it and watch. If it is rubbing on a weight just drive down there and tell them what happened, and the weights need to be moved or changed. Some shops are not that mechanically aware of a 4x4.

Professionally I am sorry for the hassle.
    Personally this is my part time job (although I have been offered Asst Mgr. many times) until I get my Engineering degree.

Hope you figure it out.

3. justhorsinaround

Thanks Matt I'll do that in the mornin. Any credence to mistorqueing and the rotor warping??

Allan

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The torque issue is one i try to avoid. Basically on a hub mounted spindle drive design axle over/under torque is not a huge issue. The newer cars and trucks are more specific. A stock 1976 K5 shold torque to 75ft/lbs it only has a 7/16 stud.
    I honestly doubt that is the problem, to cause that problem on that truck would require snapping the studs off.

just tryin' to help

5. justhorsinaround

And just tryin to learn here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Ko that's kinda what I was thinkin as well. Thanks again Matt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

6. justhorsinaround

Well when they mounted the wheels they didn't notice (and I didn't think that the wheels would) that the wheels are just to wide for the calipers. After a little grindin all is well. Again thanks Matt and your company of course did me well as they always have in the past.

Allan

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Matt, if you read this im sorry....
    Allan,
    personal opinion... STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DISCOUNT!
    have a friend with a 944. he had 2 new tires put on the rear. then a few weeks later had the rear tires moved foreward and new ones put on the rear again. no big deal. except the tire installed the second time on the drivers rear was dry rotted from the beginning. the tire was manufactured in 98. this was 6 months ago he had all this done. he went back to discount. they told him to go through toyo. so he bought 2 new tires for the rear as the pass side was also made in 98. they punctured a hole in his transmission(its in the rear on a porche 944 and is aluminum)

in the end he was without a car for 3 months. they paid 2k dollars to fix 5k dollars worth of work. they lied to him about rotating the tires as well. they put two of the tires on backwards(directional tires). i have had a lot of small bad times with them. but i stay there and watch them like a hawk as they work. my buddy didnt.

like stated before, most likely the weights. but i wouldnt take it abck to them to find out. personal opinion.
    Grant

8. justhorsinaround

Yikers Grant!!! That's one hell of a horror story. Thank goodness it was just a tire balancing. Well they did me right i.e. grindin the calipers so they don't hit the wheels anymore and they didn't charge me for anythin. Tell your friend that I feel really bad for him.
    Anyways on a lighter note 5 days and countin down for the move. Got the Corvair and a bunch of boxes and what not down today thanks to family. Lookin forward to the main move to the nice new house. Talk to y'all again soon.

Allan

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Grant,
    Professionally I am sorry for your friends mishap just a I am for Allan's.

I don't take anything that is said personally so don't worry. I really am there only till I get a better job (anyone??) /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif, or my degree. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I had a problem with one of our own shops recently. They scratched one of my wheels mounting a tire. The scrath on my steel wheels isn't a big deal, but I would be ticked if it was a nice street wheel. It usually comes down to tastes and location. A lot is opinion. I won't go to the Dersert Rat or the Checker closest to my house. I have gotten the wrong part run around too many times. The final blow for each place was right after my 14FF swap Feb 2002.

Checker Mgr. "Oh you couldn't possibly have that axle in your blazer I think you mean the 12 bolt" I then demanded brake shoes for a 14B and his reply was "I'll be here when you come back for the 12 bolt ones" I have yet to return.

Desert Rat counter dude "Oh nobody makes 15 inch 8 lug wheels, and if there were they wouldn't fit that axle (14FF) anyway"
    I have yet to return there also.

These problems usually vary from location to location.
    Well I have halfway hijacked this thread so I'm done now.

Thanx for the feedback Grant
    p.s. what is ttt mean? I see it in the garage a lot.

10. justhorsinaround

Heyo Matt, Thanks again for the words of wisdom and ttt means to the top. Get it ttt, To The Top har har har har har. Ah well it isn't that funny but there it is. Good luck to y'all.

Allan