Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How could I be 2 1/2 pints over??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 76_Cheyenne, Mar 18, 2003.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just got my oil changed today at Jiffy Lube..... and yes i usually always change my own oil, but its kinda a pain in a college dorm parking lot. Well thats not the point... when they were checking my t-case(np205) oil, they said i was about 2 1/2 pints over. but how could that be? I just convereted my 203 to a 205 in December and changed the oil and filled it up to the fill plug. I don't see how you would be able to keep filling it up past that cause it comes rushing out. I was afraid maybe the seal between the Tranny and T-case was bad so Tranny fluid was filling up the t-case, but my tranny fluid checked out fine. Any one got any ideas of this puzzler? Or most of all should i be worried?/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

jiffy lube-

the place that believes the duramax has 8 qts of oil.....cause thats what the computer says........

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats interesting. I just changed the fluid im my transfer case and the same thing. It was well above the plug and came pouring out when I removed it. Just bought the truck and changed the tranny fluid too. Since I flushed the torque converter I went thru a case of fluid so dont know how much actually went in. I couldnt figure out how it could have fluid above the plug

Is there a problem here we dont know about /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

The th350 in my old 73 used to leak fluid out the rear seal... right into the NP205.

I removed the fill plug to drain the excess at every oil change /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

IF its not leaking out between the trans and xfer case is it a problem? Will the xfer case fill up completly causing a pressure/seal blowout when running xfer case in 4-high?
    Just trying to figure out if this is something we need to fix this ASAP or not to worry about it.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My th350 leaks into the 205. I had to fill up the tranny and drain the 205 every so often.

Steve Chin on the 1st gen board had a solution to this. He replaced the front bearing in the 205 with a double sealed bearing.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

interesting, my 208 was over full when i serviced it last week came gushing out the fill plug..but I Have a four speed! so where did all that extra atf fluis come from?

8. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

My guess would be that when you filled it, it was nice and cool, but now that it is hot the 80w-90 (if thats what it takes not sure)has expanded so it seems as if it is overfilled because it leaked(or cane pouring out) when you took off the fill plug. ALso make sure the transfer case breather is clear. But that is just a guess.

9. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Well im glad im not the only one. Sounds like a common problem. Im not gonna worry about it unless someones says it really is a problem. Ill just make sure to check my t-case and tranny fluid often. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif