Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did life start?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84k5, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I figure that life on mars was good, they had trucks, food,beer etc.......then they started allowing gay marriages /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

imagine in a couple billion years, when a space craft from venus lands on a planet to investigate if water ever existed on our little rock.....and they find little pieces of rubber on rocks.......

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Life is a rather wide term.... the bacteria that makes your armpit stink is life

As for religion, maybe "god" had a few practice planets

.... mars.... aliens..... flowers..... let there be light...hmm I can't see let's turn it up a bit.... "AHHHHHHHH".... oh sorry guys should have warned ya.... AND THEY ALL DIED *ashes ashes dust dust*

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's inconsivable to belive this (earth) is the only place with life. I fully belive that there is life somewhere besides here.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Of course you do, you're best buds with Quicklymog, ambassador to 45.766 planets including Mars, Earth, and Poopmayer 6!

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Life, from a scientific view, would appear to be fairly easy to start. Lifeforms like us, are probably a one in a million chance. Considering the size and age of the universe (btw, they have confirmed the oldest known galaxy to date at 13.25 Billion Light Years away . (1 light year=6,000,000,000,000 miles per year. Travel at that speed for 13.25 billion years and you will soon be there /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif))

Basic lifeforms (like underarm bacteria, mold, fungus, agage) are probably common. Advanced lifeforms (like My Favorite Martian...I bet you youngins dont know who that is /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif or planet of the apes) may be pretty rare. It not very likely we will ever interact or detect another "intelligent" life form because the sheer numbers of variables required to make that happen.

Religion will continue to the day the Earth is destroyed or life, as we know it, is terminated. The strength of human faith, as it is associated with this life form, will never stop believing in "God" as they see him in the multitude of different religions no matter what evidence is found.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Part of what you said reminds me of my theory on why we create gods

I won't get into it now but here's a quote I like about it

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us."
    Nelson Mandela (1918 - )

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

we spend our whole lives thinking about life and then we die /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

...and then came Hope, and all it's myriads of forms

10. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Religion will continue to the day the Earth is destroyed or life, as we know it, is terminated. The strength of human faith, as it is associated with this life form, will never stop believing in "God" as they see him in the multitude of different religions no matter what evidence is found.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand how people believe something when there are so many holes in the story. It seems to me the only reason anyone is religious is because they are scared of what will happen if they are not.

Maybe someone would like to inform me? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand how people believe something when there are so many holes in the story. It seems to me the only reason anyone is religious is because they are scared of what will happen if they are not.

Maybe someone would like to inform me? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called faith. I have faith in my beliefs from what I have learned from the world around me. I have gone to church, prayed, read the bible, other books, listened to others of different beliefs and soaked in all I could. In my learning about other religions, beliefs and ideas I came to realize that Christian beliefs were the ones for me. You believe what you do based on what you have seen and learned from the world around you correct? I do the same thing.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Life's of fact and standards are no fun at all

Any good fictional book is based on the same standards of the Christianity. Who would be Christian is Jesus wasn't so cool? If he just baked cakes all the time. Jesus the loving cakebaker. "Hey, m'name's Jesus, have some cake?"

The like it and they want to believe because they WANT to believe

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Of course you do, you're best buds with Quicklymog, ambassador to 45.766 planets including Mars, Earth, and Poopmayer 6!

[/ QUOTE ]Whatever.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

It seems to me the only reason anyone is religious is because they are scared of what will happen if they are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suffer from constant sever depression and I must say part of it is attributed to my beliefs, aka my lack there of. Maybe someday I will be able to let some faith back in but it will never be christianity.

15. 88Silverado

If you trace back religions you will notice most of them created gods to help them cope with the unexplained or understood workings of the earth and heavens. Things like Rain, Clouds, the movement of planets, thunder, lightning, eclipses, seasonal growth of food and the harshness of winter etc..etc. The human mind can adapt and accept this explination as a feeling of calm and elation. Accepting what is considered a supernatural interaction has probably been going on since man became conscious of himself and his surroundings.

However, like everything in our universe we are interconnected down to the atomic level. Basically we humans are made of stardust and are solar powered. There are many things we dont understand when it comes down to how we interact with the electrical or energy forces in the universe. There may infact be a supreme God and/or an existing, ever living spiritual state that interacts with each other at this level and in this religious mannor. The problem is we dont know how to validate this with todays technology and it appears as long as we are physically alive the only way to interact at this level is by our belief and faith in ancient writings and stories. There are billions of people who have this belief and faith and believe they currently interact, or will interact at this "spritual" level when life is over. Belief and Faith are a basic part of being human and it is a basic part of the way the human mind operates, and since we humans we have our own individual beliefs and faiths, some believe and some dont but we will never be able to prove it. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

16. Resurrection_Joe

Z3PR -

'twas a joke silly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Sleddy -

Just say, "Ahhhh everything is great!" and it usually will end up that way. Otherwise, invent some gods to talk to, that's what I do

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    It's called faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally, i see no relationship between faith and organized religon. Everyone says there is a God of some sort... IMO believing it it/him/her requires no faith at all. People can think whatever they want, thats fine... I just dont see any faith in the organized religons I have looked at.

j

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There may infact be a supreme God and/or an existing, ever living spiritual state that interacts with each other at this level and in this religious mannor. The problem is we dont know how to validate this with todays technology and it appears as long as we are physically alive the only way to interact at this level is by our belief and faith in ancient writings and stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

If God came down here right now and proclaimed himself to be the all supreme being and creator of life, how do you think we would respond to him?

We would prolly shoot at him, arrest him, beat on him, jail him and then throw away the key. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    We would prolly shoot at him, arrest him, beat on him, jail him and then throw away the key

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...and if you look back at the Christanity faith, thats kinda what they did before. However, if he/she/etc were to put a couple bolts of lightning up peoples butts in the presence of everyone, im sure there would be more belief. The problem would still be theres so many different beliefs of who/what god is, people would still argue with him.

I like going back to the basics. At this point, we are in the physical world. Basic physical lifeforms would appear to be pretty easy to start, at least on this planet. As soon as there is evidence of lifeforms on another planet, we will have the proof it will probably be spread across the universe.

Keeping away from the religious beliefs, there is a good book called "Beginnings" by Isaac Asimov. It traces back time and the origins of life and the universe in a very scientific mannor.

20. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

All I can say is the story of Noahs ark is ridiculas. It is physically impossible to gather every animal on earth,one male one female, put them on a gigantic boat and get everything to survive. So your saying everybody including arians, asians, blacks, eskimos, etc. come from the same gene pool as Noah?