Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did we ever survive our childhood?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Mar 24, 2003.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I usually don't post this sort of thing, but it's a great
    one. Anyone 25 and up will relate.

How did we survive?
    Looking back; it's hard to believe that we've lived as long as we have.
    My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning. She also used to defrost hamburger on the counter
    AND I used to eat it raw sometimes too, but I can't remember getting
    E-coli.

As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags.Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
    We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.
    We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt.
    We played with toy guns, cowboys and Indians, army, cops and robbers,
    and used our fingers to simulate guns when the toy ones or my BB gun was not available.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda, but we were
    never overweight; we were always outside playing.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
    didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. We all took gym, not
    PE...and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries
    but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Some students weren't as smart as others or didn't work hard so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. That generation produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem solvers.
    Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the pledge and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention for the next two weeks. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

I can't understand it. Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an abortion
    or condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they did give us a couple of baby aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting the sniffles. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, PlayStation,Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital cable stations.

I must be repressing that memory as I try to rationalize through the denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day about
    a mile down the road to some guy's vacant 20, built forts out of branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to be the Lone Ranger. What was that property owner thinking, letting us play on that lot? He should have been locked up for not putting up a fence
    around the property, complete with a self-closing gate and an infrared intruder alarm.
    We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of Mercurochrome and then we got our butt spanked. Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked (child abuse) here too... and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

Summers were spent behind the push lawn mower and I didn't even know that mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive.

How sick were my parents? Of course my parents weren't the only
    psychos. I recall Donny Reynolds from next-door coming over and doing his
    tricks on the front stoop just before he fell off. Little did his Mom
    know that she could have owned our house? Instead she picked him up
    and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run
    amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they
    were
    from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that we
    needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?

How DID we survive???!

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Oh no.... it's been reposted.... NOOOOOO! Now we'll hear Canmore and Goober and whoever else it was arguing for days on end. Stop the madness noooo..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I found that pretty interesting the last time it was posted, also.

Hey <font color="orange"> Canmorek5 </font>, remember this?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm 24, but I can relate to everything in that post. That was very well written. It seems like things have changed so much sometimes... How did we survive? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Again, I applaud the post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    John

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And to think the dust just settled..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Where's that Skulznbonz fawker when you need him, Goober?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ohhhh boy.... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I don't remember seeing this posted before, must've been before my time. Sorry to stir the pot. I'll have to look in the archives and see what all the fuss is about, you've piqued my curiousity.

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't bother, Michelle. The post was deleted by the mods....

Yes, it WAS that bad, but it's all behind us now. All the combatants kissed and made up and everyone is happy now. Well, except for me. I'm not very happy in the first place. Oh well, sux to be me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, it WAS that bad, but it's all behind us now. All the combatants kissed and made up and everyone is happy now.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh c'mon ........ it was fun!

I missed out on the kissing part ....... but I think that's a good thing.

Ya Michelle, you missed an exciting one. <font color="orange"> Canmorek5 </font>and I ended up finishing it on the telephone when it got deleted.

Now we are taking our medication we are much better behaved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

hell, i just turned 19 and this applies to me as well, probably because i grew up in the country. we did all kinds of crazy crap and nobody cared. that's the only childhood anyone should have. none of this suburbia bullcrap where everybody nibs in everybody else's business. that's no way to live, IMO.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Canmorek5 and I ended up finishing it on the telephone when it got deleted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulie is much funnier on the phone.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Same here, lived on a farm untill a few years ago! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

How did we ever get along without a brand new $25,000 car? There were school busses, but only the kids that lived very far away got to ride those. Everyone else rode thier bikes or walked. We did calulations on a slide rule. Anyone remember those? How did we get along without cell phones stuck to our ears?

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

only 23, and I remember doing almost all of that. I also remember building a ramp out of plywood, bricks and boards, then jumping it in the middle of the street... my neighbor and I kept increasing the ramp angle, until it was about 45 degrees... at that point, I hit it really hard, and it dissentigrated back into a pile of boards, and bricks, and I went flying into the pavement. great fun, would do it again. A++++++++

seriously tho, if I ever decide to take the plunge and have kids, I plan on doing what I can to make sure they grow up this way. I plan on having an early-mid 70's pickup truck, with a manual gear box, and loud exhaust just like my dad did (72F-150), and go flying around in that thing. drink pepsi's from the bottle, and get Mt Dew's at the gas station with my son when mom isn't around to dissaprove...

-Rich

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

"Mercurochrome" OUCH I remember that stuff as far as I know it fixes any injuries one can attain.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I felt I could relate to most of it. I don't neccessarily agree with all of it. I found it interesting though. It's just too bad times weren't a little simpler though. My 10 year old neice has to be talked into or reminded to go outside and play. That kind of thing is what saddens me.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Paulie is much funnier on the phone

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah He is every other word is eh! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif