Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did you change to inboard /\ rear shock setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Dec 27, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

How did you change to inboard /\\ rear shock setup?

I will be doing this today and was looking for ideas. What worked for you? What didn't?

Thought: Has anybody thought of a way to use a bolt-on axle mount. Possibly through your u-bolts?

I just installed ORD shackle flip and now have way more flex than my current shock locations can handle! Pics, if you've got'em. Thanks!

New shackle flip, yeah!!!! No more blocks! (I will wait to trim the u-bolts until I get some zero-rates in there.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Re: How did you change to inboard /\\ rear shock setup?

I think I would consider adding some bump stops. Those springs might not last long flexing into the negative. Can't help you with the inboard shocks. I have yet to do this but I will follow this thread for some tips. Good luck.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Mo-offroad has a bolt on kit that uses collars around the axle tube to accomplish a simple bolt on conversion.

mo-offroad kit

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

bed floors are highly overrated.

[​IMG]

5. cybrfire

I've always liked that setup. I may still that design when I am no longer in need of a rear seat!

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I have the mo-offroad kit, real easy to install and seems like it is gonna work great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you want pics let me know !

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

got mine from 55willys. dont think he makes them anymore, but he might. They came with the hardware to attach each side of the xmember with 4 bolts, but I only used 2 bolts in each end and shane74 welded them on as well... has held up fine.

x-member pic

hope it helps,

j

8. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Had them like that. Now they r not. Do a search lots of info out there. As for me that was prolly 1 of the worst mods I had done. You can almost get the same effect by removing your shocks...The more you angle the less effective they become.

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    let me try to explain my drawing..

the black line is the spring plate, the blue lines are u-bolts..
    the purple is the bracing for the bracket (red line)
    the orange line is a ball-socket style bolt that rotates freely, like a heim joint perhaps

the red shape with the green box is just a view of what the bracket with the ball socket bolt could look like..

you could even use a small heim joint i guess or a regular bolt if you wanted..

my only thing is that the ball-socket style bolt or heim joint might move too much, reducing the shocks effectiveness.. however, i figure if you used the regular bolt (orange line on drawing), only angled down at around a 45 from where it is now, you could run the shocks at an angle up under the tub/bed...

does it make sense to anyone else?? should i just delete this rambling? oh.. and i guess it could be made to bolt ontop of the spring plate, between the springs and plate, or welded onto the spring plate between the ubolts..

10. cybrfire

You could double them up if you find there isn't enough damping due to angle. Or if you have adjustables you could crank em up.

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

THis is what i did. Cut the old shock hangers off turned them around then welded them back on. THen again my axle is 6" back from stock. I used an existing x-member. Oh, this is a blazer frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Hey Zakk, is that crime scene tape across the back? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I made my own brakets... I cut my old brakets off the axle tube, modified them and welded them to the top of the axle (mounted so that when the bolt is inserted to hold the shock it runs front to back). Then I took a piece of L-angle steel bolted it to the frame. I drilled a couple hole in the steel and used the old upper shock mount hardware to attach the shock to it. It was a piece of cake!
    I wish I had pics to show you, but my digital went swimming a while back and Santa forgot to bring me a mew one this year.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I plan on doing the Missouri Offroad setup with the over the top axle truss on my Corp14ff which incorporates lower shock mounts on the outer clamps and the upper mounts inboard, but at their farthest outboard setting and using their inboard upper mount. I talked to MOO and he said I could order the axle truss set up for a traction bar that I could install later. Pics here: http://www.mo-offroad.com/whatsnew.htm

16. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! I am almost finished my brackets. It will end up looking alot like Jekbrown's setup. Though, I LOVE the extended shocks through the bed! Maybe someday...

If I find it does not dampen well enough I can easily double up the shocks. Though it is a pickup and the rear is very light. Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif