Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did you cut your floor for fuel pump replacement?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91GMCSuburban, Feb 3, 2005.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I need to replace my in-tank fuel pump and want to cut a hole in my floor instead of dropping the tank. I am worried about using a cutter (grinder) because of the sparks.

What should I do? What did you do?

2. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i would just drop the tank, sounds to sketchy to cut through the floor to replace a pump, its just 2 straps and a couple lines u gotta watch out for.

3. 91GMCSuburban

I'm thinking future trail replacement as well. I will probably drop the tank, and then cut the hole, but was looking for something easier.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You could squeeze a damp rag in between the tank and body. Just make sure you look out for the fuel lines. I'd drop it too.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Just pull up the carpet and fire up the old torch!

Only kidding, I'd drop the tank, then drill, and find a large body plug to put back in the hole.

6. 91GMCSuburban

I ended up not dropping the tank. I threw a carpet sample between the tank and floor and cut the floor. Worked like a charm.

7. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

this could be handy for future reference.did you take pics of where you cut it?

8. 91GMCSuburban

No, but I will. I still need to patch it.

9. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

just drill some holes, then use the sawzaw...less sparks

or... get a strong fan and have someone keep a constant breeze while you grind

or...throw a plate over the tank and soak her with water

or...be thankfull you dont own a pree 93 camaro or firebird, other wise you would be droppin out a rear axel and a whole bunch of junk,

my dads formula 400 now has an access hole for future replacement:crazy:

if you are also dealing with rusty bolts/straps...I would not even consider dropping the tank..unless you want to deal with insanity at an early stage in your life..

anything is possable, just think it though and be carefull,

-shawn

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how did you do it??

Did you use a hole saw??--and how did you know where to cut??:confused:

I have never understood why more cars and trucks dont have an access panel there factory--frigging engineers are sadistic,they way they design some things--been there and done that,regarding the late camaro fuel pumps--pulling out the entire exhaust system,rear track bar,and all the other stuff that usually crumbles as you take it apart...the guy who designed those cars without an access panel should be forced to change the pumps for life...:mad:

I like my good old fashioned mechanical fuel pump,bolted to the engine!--or an aftermarket electric one mounted OUTSIDE the gas tank!--but I guess with EFI youre screwed--not much for alternatives there I guess....:crazy:

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dont cut through floor cuz youll never get unit out even still after that with the lines on it, youll have to cut them too,

drop the tank, never cut the floor..

good luck

12. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

My '87 was cut out back there when I bought it. I was really pissed when I first found out. I just made a plate to cover it, sealed it up and bolted it on. My first wheelin' trip was cut short when my fuel pump went bad. I sure was glad I did not have to drop the tank on the side of a mountain :D . Anyway, mine was cutout about 8x8 square. It is a little bit of a pain to get the hoses and fuel lines off, but still easier than dropping a full tank down.

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you make the access hole big enough, it will fit just fine, and you'll have plenty of room to get the lines off too. Remember, the hole is by you, for you. So if you need or want it bigger, cut the sumbitch bigger!
    I'm going with a 12"x12" panel, 'cause I don't want to be on my back on the trail trying to drop a fuel tank that, if full, could be pushing 250lbs.
    I highly recommend:
    - Rounding the corners of the hole; don't make them square. Square corners will cause cracks to form in the corners and radiate outward.
    - Take a piece of fuel hose (good, bad, old, new - doesn't matter) long enough to go around the entire opening. Slit it down the entire length so you can slip it over the edge of the floor; now you won't slash your wrists and forearms up when you're working on the pump. Keep it in your truck so you don't go 'wheeling and leave it at home...

14. 91GMCSuburban

Since my brother had my Grinder/Cutter, I used a dremel with cutting wheels. Even though this was tedious because I had to keep changing them every 3" of cut, it worked out better because I was able to be more accurate, in control and not worry about how deep the wheel went (didn't want to cut the fuel lines).

As far as where to cut, the vertical (front to back) position of the sending unit matched the low point in my spare tire well. The horisontal position was estimated at the center of the truck. You can see the weld points for the floor to the cross members, so cut at least an inch inside these.

I'll get pics next week of what I did and re-post.

15. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

i have a differnt way of doing it. pull out the back two body mount bolts, then losen the other bolts up. get a high lift jack(or any jack that is bigenuff to lift the body up) set it under the bumper, then lift it up enuff that u can get to the pump. this is the way that most tech's at the dealer(they cheat and use a hoist) do it and also how i do.:grin:

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Couple questions...
    1. How is jacking from the bumper gonna lift the back of the body off the frame??
    2. Are you gonna take your body halfway off the frame on the trail just to swap a fuel pump?

17. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

sorry i ment the back of the body. as for the trail just drag your junk to a flat spot and go at it. im not saying this is the best way to to it, just easyer than dropin the tank and safer than cuting a hole in the floor.:grin:

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I got to this thread too late but it probably would have worked out better to drop the tank take out the old pump replace it with some tubing,extend sauder and heat shrink the wires then run the wires to an inline pump. I did this on mine and now if i blow a pump i can carry a spare and be on the road in 15 min. If you cut a hole in your floor i doubt you would want to do this but once its done you won't have to mess with it again.... too late tho.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you knew anything about electric pumps, you'd know they don't prime themselves very well and reliability is the reason the pump is in the tank. You can run your inline garbage on your POS that sits in the driveway pumping coolant into the oil but don't suggest that to other people.

By the way, solder is spelled S-O-L-D-E-R, and I'd imagine if you can't spell the word, you probably can't solder for **** either.

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

haha look at this.... chill out man.

no coolant just water and once again chill out or stfu.

want to explain how an electric pump is related to water in the oil?

the efi systems hold pressure for a long time after you shut if off and will almost always have pressure in it when you turn the key unless it sits for a long time.

damn i wish i had pics of my solders. wth does spelling have to do with soldering?

just let it go