Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did you get started in the Wheeling hobby (or lifestyle for most of us)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Just thought id follow the Fad of the "forum questions"

Ive always been obsessed with trucks, ever since i had a sand box when i was a kid, But the first time i took my dads stock f250 out wheeling, and got stuck for three days, i knew i needed a bigger truck, 2 months later i bought a 77 jimmy, with 38"s.... Just curious how the rest of you got into it.......

2. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

The same way i got into blazers i was born into. my dad has a 1973 blazer and i have been around it all my life

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Found out that 4 wheel drive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif was way better than 1 wheel drive and a lot drier most of the time unless you really FUBAR the sinkhole then you get wet n nasty! Plus you can keep warmer in the cab than on a seat out in the elements!
    Bill

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

first i had me and my friends would ride around on our mountian bikes, then i had my suzuki 125 3 wheeler, and now my honda 4 wheeler, then i got my first 4x4 truck and saw some guys doin it, so i thought i woudl take my truck off-road, had a good ol time in 4 hi, then it just takes off from there, more 4 wheeler action and more truck action, cleanin off the quad is easier tho, and also recovering of the atv is easier then the truck /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but experience from the atv in the mud payed off when i took my truck out, such as lookin at mud and eye'n how deep and nasty it is, such as clay, or bottomless mud, ive run across that on my atv, thank god my dad was there on his 4x4 honda, or id'd been in a deep mess. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

now i just need to find a girl that enjoys it somewhat too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Mine goes back to my late teen-early 20's low riding days. I had a lowered s-10 extended cab with some Weld tomahawks and yokohama 205 50 R15's (this was even before 16's and 17's were cool). Well living in Iowa, as you can imagine, requires driving in snow. This low rider would get stuck on level ground, it was so bad I cuoldnt leave the driveway if there was more than 1" in the street....after a couple years of low riding I deccided to go 4X4. I have had my blazer for 8 years now.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I think it had to have started when my dad had a customer w/ a CJ7 on 36s. I was about 12 maybe. It was THE coolest thing I had ever seen. I lived in Mass. growing up and big rigs was something that just didnt exist. My dad was considering buying it and the guy let my dad drive it for a few days. Unfortunately dad didnt go for it. I think mom had something to do w/ that. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

When we moved to Fla my uncles brother in law came by when we were at his house. He had a Ford on 44s. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was it...I was DONE! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blazer obsession started w/ "Project Mighty Rat" in Petersens back in the 80s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: How did you get started in the Wheeling hobby (or lifestyle for most of us) *DELETED*

Post deleted by Tweetysuarus

8. Silver84k5

heh wrong thread ;] this one was about how you got started wheeling ;P

9. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I got started becouse my freind (Mountainexplorer) showed me mud bogging, that was the coolest thing ever. Unfortanatly i dont realy have a wheelin rig (yet im getting one next fall, hello 3/4 ton!) so how i actually started was someone (my freind greg) bet me i couldnt climb this hill in my truck (an 80 luv) well i did it and suprised the hell out of greg. So i have just been playing on trails in my little truck for almost a year now(cant wait untill i get a full sized to mud in!).

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

always wanted a truck. After i gave Rita my '99 Honda, I bought a '77 K5 from the orginal owner.

i knew i wanted
    1) a Chevy
    2) a convertable

A freind in HS had a 4runner that had a removable top, and i thought it was the coolest sheit i had ever seen. But Chevy's are where its at, so i have the best of both worlds /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Re: How did you get started in the Wheeling hobby (or lifestyle for most of

Long story...

Always liked trucks, never knew I wanted one though. When I was 17, just after getting my drivers license, I was in a car accident. Some guy in a 4x4 Chevy p/u went over the 2x yellow and hit me on the drivers side. Our Trooper=totaled, his truck=drove it away a few days later. I thought how cool a Chevy 4x4 would be. I started looking at the Truck Trader, and soon realized how cool a big truck would be /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Meanwhile my parents replaced the Trooper with another Trooper. I soon started exploring 4WD in that while I was in high school, driving through some mud, and some snow, quickly realizing how cool the truck thing was, and how I needed a REAL 4X4!

I sued for the car accident, got a settlement when I was 18. The day I got my settlement, I was riding with a friend and some Asian pulled out in front of us causing us to clip his car and total my friends s-15 Jimmy. We almost landed in a stream, but hit a block of cement and cork screwed /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif After the accident I bought my truck (same day, had already been looking at it). Paid too much, had too much wrong with it, but damn those 15x35x15 Swampers looked sweet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So lots of repair, and another settlement later(from my friends accident) brings me to my truck lifestyle(addiction) of today /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I know, long boring, but I love telling that story HEHE

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Like it says in my profile "Born offroad"
    Some of my earilest memeroies are being in a jeep in the mountain loging roads of Northern Cal. Learned to drive in an old Willys pickup. I'v been in 4x4 most all my life. Having a couple of 4x4s around is pretty much just natural to me.

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

For me it started on a farm growing up. My dad had a 1978 K30 dually. When the tractor would get stuck hauling hay into the horse lot (wet muddy ground during the spring and fall) we used the K30 to pull it out and bring the hay in. Plus during high school I always used it to get my 2wd F-250 crewcab unstuck from the flat spot I parked it in the winter /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Then there was the National Guard /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am one of the reasons you guys get to bid on the salvaged M1009's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To paraphrase Reba, "I was wheelin' when wheelin' wasn't cool". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was reading Pickup, Van and 4WD magazine by the time I was twelve. I love the outdoors and getting away from it all, so having a 4WD was just a natural extension of that. The whole 4WD hobby has changed pretty radically over the last 30+ years. But it's still a blast. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. Silver84k5

changed for the better or worse?

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yes. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Silver84k5

yes better? heh

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

In the early '80's I got tired of everytime I would leave my house and pull onto a major street that I would get pulled over in my '49 Ford 1/2 ton f-1 pick up. I dropped in a Old's 425/400 under the hood and could burn the tires off the truck. Just about every Cop in town knew my truck and wanted to check it out, to see what I've done lately. Between the tickets and being late for dates, work, school, exc. I sold the truck and bought a new 4x4 Pick Up. Then bought my K-5

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well it all started back in the day...about 1998 or so...i was a senior in HS and had a 69 El Camino..well i just got tired of it...it was dead about 3 days of the week..and happened to see this 88 blazer parked on the side of the road about a block from my house...well i checked it out and really liked it...it was white with and big grey stripe down the side..the inside was clean as hell and everything worked...and better yet it only had 70,000 miles on it.....i ended up talkin my mom into letting me borrow the money to buy it untill i sold my el camino..so anyway i bought it and drove the crap out of it...6 months later i finaly got it paid off..(that damn el camino wouldent sell but 6 months later it finaly did)...so anyway i drove it stock and wheeled it out at a local play area (now shut down and ya get a fat ticket for goin out there) so anyway...drove it that way for about 2 years..and decided i wanted to paint it...so stripped it down and painted it cannary yellow...got that all done one of my friends pulled his 4 inch lift off his 3/4 ton truck and went to a 6 inch...and he sold me the springs for 50 bucks and i lifted it the following weekend...jumped up the 33" inch tires from the 29"s i had...(wow i was cool)..and then i went up to 35" and dident trim the fenders at all since i was just a street poser anyway...well i finaly found this site and got me into wheelin...the first guys i met on here were goldrush, burt4x4, kingk5, Xplosuv..and a few others that seem to have dissapeared from the site...well we all met up at praire city in sacramento and it was all over after that...4 wheelin was now hooked in me.. I love my blazer...even tho DMV wont let me drive it at the moment /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I was never into 4x4's growing up.
    WHen I was about 20, a friend took me for a ride in a beat-up 77 k-10, We went on the beach, when it was raining. I didn't know that much about 4wd but I really liked how we didn't get stuck no matter what. Felt like driving a tank. Been hooked since.
    -- Mike