Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How did you wire your tail lights with your tow bar?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GMCLegacy, Apr 7, 2004.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i made an attempt today to run a 4 flat wire int he front of my pickup spliced into the rear tail light harness. and attach a 7 prong to the end sticking out the front so i can hook up to my tow rig. it made sense to me at the time, and i havent looked at the wire diagram in my not so trusty chilton. i think i may have popped a fuse, or blinker circuit because my blinkers dont work anymore. i gave up since it started to rain/snow again. just wondered what you guys do for lights when you tow bar. i was trying not to run a second set of tail lights.

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

I bought a $20 set of trailer lights, mounted em on magnetic bases & wired them to the appropriate connector. No matter what I'm towing, I can stick my lights on it. Just be sure to mark them R/L, so you don't cross them.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking about this for a few minutes...

And I don't know how you'd deal with the turn signal flasher and the fact that I'm pretty sure you're trying to turn on a bunch of lights with GM's slick way of wiring turn signals. I'd have to think about it for a very long time and stare at the schematic. Of course, I'm really tired and might not be thinking clearly.

I hate to say it, but I'd think about going to Kuru's and getting the taillight connector plug from in the frame. I'd then take a $5 50' extension cord and use that to make up a new harness to run from the front of your truck to the back by your taillight connector. It'd probably be the easiest way, in my opinion, because then you're only trying to power those four bulbs.

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I bought a pre made set of 'tow lights'. Kinda like what the tow truck wreckers use... they cost about 30.00 have magnetic bases and about 20' of wire ran to a 4 wire flat connector. Just stick em to the back end, plug it in and go.
    No headaches!

Mike

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I went to U-Haul and paid alittle bit of cash for them to wire it up the correct way. I think it was only like $15 or for them to wire it up, plus th $5-10 for the plug kit. No big deal and saved me alot of headache. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just bought yesterday a plug in harness with four flat out. 15 bucks at Wal-Mart of all places. You just unplug the rear harness underneath the truck , plug this thing in between, and your done. I also bought a plug in end with L.E.D's to similate a trailer just to make sure they work. I towed before in an emergency, just finally got around to making sure I had lights /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif