Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult is it to install an automatic transmission temp. gauge?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Jul 13, 2003.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1997 Tahoe back in October and haven't had a chance to pull the 16ft travel trailer with it yet. I know that the transmissions are a weak point on these trucks so I would like to install a tranny temp gauge to let me know if things are getting too hot in there. Anybody does this before? (I haven't) How difficult is it? Any suggestions to brand of gauge I should get?

Thanks,

Rod

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Brand of gauge is a no brainer, Auto Meter....

The hardest part about this install is getting a bung mounted into the pan. Unless you have a welder, buy the gauge and visit a radiater shop. Show them the sender, and see if they have a bung they can mount into your pan that fits right.

Go home and take a really close look at where you believe the best place to mount it will be. Keep in mind you will have to run the wires from the sender and into the pass. compartment. Mark your spot, and go back and get that bung installed. Pick up some tranny fluid on the way home and finish it up....

3. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

You can also get a gage that uses a electric sender, that way you dont have to do any welding. You just cut the line going to the cooler and insert a T that holds the electric sender. I had one {a B&M I think, it was a long time ago}, it seemed to work OK.

I'm going with a mechanical water temp gage this time around just cause they are cheaper {plus I tend to think they are more accurate for the most part} and welding is no problem for me now.