Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult is it to install an automatic transmission temp. gauge?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 72Blazerod, Jul 13, 2003.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I bought a 1997 Tahoe back in October and haven't had a chance to pull the 16ft travel trailer with it yet. I know that the transmissions are a weak point on these trucks so I would like to install a tranny temp gauge to let me know if things are getting too hot in there. Anybody done this before? (I haven't) How difficult is it? Any suggestions to brand of gauge I should get?

Thanks,

Rod

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an AutoMeter 2-5/8" Tranny temp gauge with electric sender sitting on my desk here next to me right now... Just got it from Summit for around 40 bucks including the little pod thing. It comes with a brass fitting that you braze/weld onto your tranny pan and then the sender screws into that. Then you just run the wire up to the gauge and a +12 volts to the gauge for power and then hook up the back light and your done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I know that it's a bit late for this post,but......... I just installed an automatic temp guage in my 4l60e you dont need to drill into the fluid pan, there is already a drilled and tapped sensor hole on the transmission already. It is located on the drivers side just above the pan and linkage connectors you cant see it but when you feel around for it there you will find it. It is the same threads and the sensor from autometer. My temp reads between 150-160 max. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif