Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult is it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Aug 9, 2001.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to remove a tailgate and all the inside components and put the all back together? As some of you know my 91 k5 was hit in the rear the night before my wedding this past May. Well last night I found a tailgate in the KC area for $20 ( I have not see it so not sure on the condition but was told that it is prefect). The main questions is will the tailgate off a 85 or a 87 (owner is not sure what year it is) fit a 91. He was also going to sell me his hard top so that I can make a soft-top out of it. I am not to sure what all else the truck has but if you are looking for some body parts let me know because I think that the only parts he wants much for is the Tranny (just rebuilt 700r4) and the X-cass.

Brettmcox@hotmail.com
    www.Brettmcox.rockcralwer.com

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by WakeBoard&4X4er on 08/09/01 01:00 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Re: How hard is it?

not to sure about how difficult the gate is but if ya need a hand I'll help ... what other body parts does this guy have??? Im needing a fender and possibly a few other items ..

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It should bolt right on. Aligning it alone is kind of a PITA with the tensioner, especially it you have prior body damage. I had a heck of a time trying to align mine properly alone. It's worse if you're parked on uneven pavement because of even a hair of body flex, so try to do it with all four wheels even on the ground.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I removed and completely stripped out the inside of my tailgate last week. It took about 2 hrs to disassemble it, but can't tell you how long it'll take to reassemble it. I'm thinking 3hrs. The tailgate you're looking at will be a direct bolt-on. When you reassemble this would be a good time to replace the window guides, inner and outer tailgate window seals and to clean up the tailgate assemlby and regrease it. It's not difficult, just time consuming.

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Man, does the title of this one belong in chat room or what?

kiddin

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

6. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

One note of caution...

When you put the tensioner back in, make sure it's the right way. A friend of mine put his in backwards and the first time he opened the gate it flew down and knocked him over. It also put a huge dent inside the tailgate where it was pushing. I don't know how he did it, but it happened. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen