Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult to re-cover stock seats

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dbozman, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

The seats in my '74 are shot, but the frames are good and the foam is OK. I like the look and feel of the stock seats and would rather use them than aftermarket.

I was looking at this "custom-fit" set for a little over $300:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/SeatUpholst...SU00035/148623

Anyone ever done this? How difficult to do it correctly? Thanks.
    d

2. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'm 2/3rds of the way through (did rear seat + passenger) and it's not too bad. I used covers from a different place though, but they look the same.

1. Trash the hog-ring pliers they give you and use some normal pliers. Those things suck and I ended up wasting half the rings because the pliers would bend them the wrong way. (Maybe I just got the cheap version from LMC). I ended up using zip-ties instead of hog rings on the interior after I ran out and the zip ties were much less frustrating and worked fine.

2. Also make sure not to throw away or break any of the wire in the existing east covers since you re-use those.

3. Since you're keeping your foams this may not affect you, but my foams were molded onto the frame so I had to tear them off in chunks instead of a single piece. That was a day long process in itself.

3. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

it's easy did mine in three hours. i used the hog-rings though without a problem. i got mine from a place called - fryer's upholstery- phone #1-360-652-4794 they were very helpfull.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner