Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult to swapout 700R4 to go to SM465 manual tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by glocker21, Jun 18, 2000.

1. glocker21

glocker21 Registered Member

I hope someone can help...
    I own a 1991 Blazer that currently is powered by a 350 with throttle body asperation. The power is sent to a 700R4 tranny...my question is When I yank out the motor to rebuild it and convert to Edelbrock carb (I can't stand the throttle body), how hard will it be to dump the 700R4 and install a SM465 manual tranny? I cannot stand the auto matic in the mountains. I rebulit the tranny about a year ago and added Corvette servos and beefed up the tranny, it still won't do well in the mountains though.

HELP SOMEBODY PLEASE!!!

Glocker21
    glocker21@yahoo.com

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Have you thought of the possibility that what you really need is a stronger engine? If you just had that tranny rebuilt and see some serious hills, I'm sure you'd be happier by stroking that 350 into a 383, or even better, getting a big block.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have a '73 with a 350 and SM465. If you were going through all the trouble of putting in a manual, I would go with a 5-speed like the NV4500. I love my SM465, but with basically only 3 gears available above 20mph, I find myself wanting more gears, especially on long steep halls. Not that there are any too bad in Kansas, but some trips into Oklahoma left me wanting.
    Another option, but I have no idea how realistic....GM put a 4-speed overdrive manual tranny in some 80s model pickups and blazers. I don't have any specs on it, but had a friend that had one in his 82 Silverado 4x4. It seemed like a capable tranny and your 91 should be close enough that GM may be able to supply all the parts you need for the swap.

By the way, your Username is interesting, I carry a Glock 21 on duty. Very fine weapon.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

4. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I agree with both goose and blazer79. I have a 79 K10 (in addition to my '85K5) with the SM465 and I can't stand it through the Mountains here in NH, and I have a stout 355 under the hood. There just isn't enough gears to row through, I'd go with the NV4500 or build a beefier motor to make the 700R4 more enjoyable.

Mike

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I did this swap a few years ago. I bought an NV4500 from Texas Auto Gear rebuilt for $1000. A new one is about $1700 (Dodge version w/synchro reverse.) I thought it would be tricky to get the master hyd cyl in the correct position but GM put 2 small indentations in the firewall, just drill emout. Here are some photos I took during the swap: http://www.geocities.com/tneg50/
    There should be a bunch of part numbers there too. Hope this helps.

SteveB

6. glocker21

glocker21 Registered Member

Hey thanks for the info Steve... Now if I can only pry the checkbook from the wife's gubby paws...

Glocker21 out