Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How difficult will it be to install a 1979 Suburban rear seat in the back of my 72 Blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Dec 1, 2000.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how hard it will be to put a clip in 79 Sub seat in the back of my 72 Blazer? I know I will have to put in the mounting 'tubs' (for lack of a better word) but I would like feed back on how to do this. Am I out of my mind or can it be done?
    The clip in style would be much cooler then crawling under my truck each time I want my seat out.

Thakns for any input,

72Blazerod

http://72blazerod.coloradok5.com

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I think that's a great idea. What you'd have to do is cut out a big section of sheet metal around the "tubs" or "pockets", as I call them, out of the donor and then locate them in your truck where you want them.

MArk the areas where the pockets would be and then cut those areas out of your 72 with a die grinder.

Then, trim down the sheetmetal around the pockets so you have about 2" around the outsides of them. Then, you have a couple of options.

1) weld the pockets in, this would be good to do if your are planning on getting a spray-in, roll-on bedliner or a carpet of some kind. The welds can be ugly but they'll get covered up by the bedliner or carpet anyways.

2) bolt them in, This is my option because I already have a spray-in. trim them down so you have enough metal to bolt to and drill holes and bolt them in. Go crazy and get some black spray paint and paint them to look nice before you put them in your truck.

It would take some doing but you're right it would be a lot easier than climbing under the truck all the time.

HTH,

buddy

Just a note: I'd cut out all of the pockets on one big piece of the bedfloor of the sub. That way they won't get misaligned somehow when you're trying to put them in your truck.

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I think that's a great idea. What you'd have to do is cut out a big section of sheet metal around the "tubs" or "pockets", as I call them, out of the donor and then locate them in your truck where you want them.

MArk the areas where the pockets would be and then cut those areas out of your 72 with a die grinder.

Then, trim down the sheetmetal around the pockets so you have about 2" around the outsides of them. Then, you have a couple of options.

1) weld the pockets in, this would be good to do if your are planning on getting a spray-in, roll-on bedliner or a carpet of some kind. The welds can be ugly but they'll get covered up by the bedliner or carpet anyways.

2) bolt them in, This is my option because I already have a spray-in. trim them down so you have enough metal to bolt to and drill holes and bolt them in. Go crazy and get some black spray paint and paint them to look nice before you put them in your truck.

It would take some doing but you're right it would be a lot easier than climbing under the truck all the time.

HTH,

buddy

Just a note: I'd cut out all of the pockets on one big piece of the bedfloor of the sub. That way they won't get misaligned somehow when you're trying to put them in your truck.

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

A Blazer back seat is actually very similar to a Suburban 3rd seat, so that is the one that you want. The second row bench from a suburban does not sit between the wheel wells, so it is quite a bit wider than a Blazer seat.

I have never looked at them side by side, but I suspect that you could take the mounting features off of a Blazer seat and attach them to the Sub seat. That way, you wouldn't have to hack up your truck.

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."