Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I add oil to the A6 A/C compressor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BRN78BLAZER, Jul 18, 2003.

1. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Just fillled my A/C 2 days ago w r12. It was working great, but last night the compressor started sqealling, its a short sqeaul that increases with rpm. Anyway I've been reading up on this and found out that this compressor has a seperate resivor for oil. Is there any special way to fill it? We simply added 10oz just into the lines but not into the compressor itself. It hasn't siezed but I'm afraid it will if try to run it anymore.

also the very front of the compressor gets very hot, hotter than any other part. The area where the pulley and clutch are, are what get hot, but it's not the belt. I'm thinking maybe a bearing in the front of the compressor not getting oil.

Anyway this is on a 78 blazer, 305. I hope this can be fixed, Thanks for any help.

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Oil is added to the compressor in one of two ways. Either with a guage set or drain the system, take the compressor out and add the oil. The resavoir(sp) is still part of the circulatory system the freon flows in.

As for the clutch head and pully getting hot, are you sure the charge is correct, is the clutch gap set right, are there any restrictions in the system. Being a 78, the bearing could just be ready to die. Also are there enough volts and amps to the connector. The clutch coil could be bad. I know this is a lot of possabilites but they are all possible.

Hope this helps

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

thanks, I'll check out the clutch and the coil and see what can be done.