Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I adjust drum brakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, May 16, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am trying to remove the rear drums on my 14 FF and they are getting caught on the pads. I have tried to raise the bar over the adjuster and turn it, but the adjuster is rusted so it will not turn either way when I push on it with a screw driver. I have soaked it multiple times with rust eater and have had no luck. Is there a trik to turning the adjuster? Any special tools? I can't get this drum off and my arms are falling of from turning, prying, pulling, kicking, and throwing tools. SOMEONE help me out before I get the torch out and cut the backing plate open enough to get vice grips on the adjuster.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

See your other post, there are answers there...

3. Joe T

Joe T Registered Member

Try a big sledge and pound that drum off,(evenly from all sides). It's worked for me.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

take the parking brake off/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Wish that was the case. I removed the p-brake cable before I started the project ;-)

I ended up breaking on of the drums with a sledge. The other drum came of with some pounding and a highlift jack prying outward from the frame.

Pictures are on my members page and I will get the pic of the broke drum up soon.

6. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

I found the trick. Only after pounding one off.
    There is a small open slot on the drum. Turn it to the 5 o'clock or 7 o,clock positon (pending on side) You need to put in a screw driver and lift up a sping loaded bar. located just above . With the bar up take another smaller fat tip driver and roll back the small wheel with teeth on it. this will bring the pads in and off comes the drum. Sorrey I dont have photos. or know the proper names of these parts. This may be the wrong way to do it but it work for me P.S. this takes time

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yes but his adjuster was frozen up and he couldn't get it to move.