Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HOW do I adjust the kickdown cable properly?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 27, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Just picked up a complete tranny from a rebuilder in my area today. The guy there was telling me how critical the adjustment of the kickdown cable to the tranny was. He said it has to be done right, or else the tranny wont shift properly. How do I go about making sure the cable is adjusted properly?

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I assume that you are referring to a 700R4 trans.....
    For a basic explanation, this should be set-up to pull the kickdown cable tight at full throttle. There are considerably more elaborate procedures, but this is the fastest, easiest method. If set too loose, it will lessen line pressure & can cause premature failure due to slippage. A good test for proper tension is that the tranny will make a full throttle downshift to 1st from a higher gear during a slow speed coast. (approx 20mph depending on rear gear ratios) Hope this helps.

Lonnie Pavtis
    Lonnies Performance Automotive

3. K5thatShmobs

Appreciate it... yes, I am refering to a 700R4 for an '89. Any other suggestions?

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

if you pop off the pan and someone presses on the gas pedal(engine off) while your looking at it from the buttom of the transmission, if the kickdown cable ingages all the way is it properly set?. I didnt quiet understand the last post /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. K5thatShmobs

Anyone know of a resource that might cover a more elaborate procedure?

6. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

7. K5thatShmobs

Sweet.. thanks a bunch.

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I think the Haynes manual explains it. If its like my 350, set it at full throtle and adjust from there to your liking. You just need to drive around the block a few times with a little screwdriver.

9. TennesseeJ

TennesseeJ Newbie

Hello, I am new here. I just bought a 85 K-5 and was checking out the site when I ran across this post. The TV cable is totally different than a turbo 350 kick down cable. It not only controls kick downs, but very critical line pressure. You can learn how to adjust it properly from here: TV cable adjustment . Although this shows it on a TPI Trans Am, adjustment of all 700r4 cables is the same. I look forward to learning alot about my new toy from all of you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

what about us peeps who have the 350 tranny. Is it the same
    way?

11. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

The TH-350 transmission does not have a TV cable like the TH-700R4, so you don't have to worry about it. The TH-350 controls kickdown via engine vacuum.