Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I adjust the rear differential

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, Apr 14, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I think I found the problem of why I'm breaking my u-joints, I went to a welder in my area he balances the shafts I told him the problem that I was having and he looked under my truck and told me that the rear differential is supposed to be adjusted at an angle when the truck is lifted I have a 4" lift but I see that my differential is straight not at an angle is this true? it kinda makes sense to me so the shaft wont be so stressed he told me for $150 he would do the job, is this too hard for me to do, is there any cutting and welding involved, according to him he has to cut something I dont remember what and re-welded back on would this be true or is he trying to rip me off, I understand about the differential that it has to be at an angle to make the shaft less stressed but the price sounds a little high what do you guys think.

keep blazin !!!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

It sounds like he is talking about the spring perches. By cutting of the spring perches then rotating the whole axel up then reweld the spring perches. Now the axel will mount to the springpacks with an upward angle. If you only need to go up a bit a degree shim can be use inbetween the spring pack and perch to get the pinion to point up.
    I have now idea if 150 is to much $ to relocate the perces or not?
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

You got it burt that's what I'm talking about I just didn't know the part name, I think the axle has to be rotated at least 3" so it does have to be cut and re-welded right? thanks.

keep blazin !!!

4. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Go to Sears and buy a magnetic protractor and check your angles on your pinion and transfer case
    My rear pinion is 11* and T case was 5* I dropped the T case now its @ 8*
    The angles needs to be no more than 3* difference

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4"lift 35 BFG A/T