Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I bleed the power steering on my 90 jimmy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, May 22, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I just replaced the stubshaft seal, oring, and dustshield now I dont have anypower steering. I have bleed the system according to the book. You just turn the truck on turn the wheel back and forth and pull the cap to release all the air. So I am guessing my pwr steering pump has failed. How can I tell. I have no p/s and no leaks. Is the only thing left the pump or what??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thanks I have done that. Is it possible my pump is shot?? How can I tell

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Haven't had to ever do it but I remember you turn it in reverse to get the air out.

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I dont think it's the pump that pushes the fluid when you turn the wheel but rather the piston in the steering gear. In the past two weeks I have been modifying my pump for my MM hydraulic winch and completely drained and recharged the system several times. All I had to do was fill the reservoir and turn the wheel back and forth about 40 times. damn boring job but it works perfektly every time. Check you lines and try again. Have someone watch the reservoir to make sure the bubbles are all out.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

No bubbles are coming out so I believe it is bleed all the way. Is it possible I put the stubshaft in wrong? Or is it not sittting in the valve rings correctly? I am confused. Today after work I will start again. What fun /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif