Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I buff scratches out of clear coat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yesterday the kids were playing out back. We live in a townhouse complex and the neighbors in the row behind us park in front of their units. Well, it appears that my 3 year old monster decided that the back of buddy's Windstar could also act as an easel. She used a small rock to etch a really nice happy face and a sun into the clearcoat on the tailgate....... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I used my orbital polisher and some decent wax and got rid of most of the damage, but you can still see it a bit. The neighbor is pretty cool with it(he has 2 little kids as well), but I'd like to be able to fix it up a little better.

Are there any products out there that are designed to fix scratched clear coats? Any application tips? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 'cleaner' wax might make it a little better than it is now. We inadvertantly covered a neighbors car with white overspray...and his car was less than 6 months old at the time. We used a 'cleaner' wax on the advice of a detailing shop and got it all off. The car looked much better than before the overspray incident.

rene

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

It has been my understandin that ya have to wet sand the area. Unfortunately for you, with a rock you're prolly gonna find she scratched through the clear coat. From what I understand, that pretty much rules out a quick and dirty fix. I'm sure some body guru will tell ya a slick way to take care of the problem though. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Wax on wax off Danielson /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you try some lite duty rubbing compound yet??
    That may do the trick..
    Or possibly some machine glaze...
    Those products are made for cutting scratches..

On deep scratches...where you're down to the color coat..
    painting is your only option...

Also...you could try..carefully..
    brush touching the scratch with clear..
    litely sand with 1500 grit sand paper...
    and re-buff..

6. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

I was watching Trucks on tv the other day, and they just explained this. He had an Explorer with some scratches in the clearcoat, and did a demonstration. He used really fine sand paper (like around 1500 grit) and some water, then carefully used a buffer over that. He might have also used a polisher, I dont remember. All I know is it looked good. I guess it has something to do with the wet paper. Anyways, I think this is how it's done, but I have never done it and I dont want to give the wrong information, so do what you think is best. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Sorry I can't help you, but.....I saw the title and thought for sure there was either gonna be a picture of some nasty fender damage or you were baiting us on another topic. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Good luck with the repairs.

8. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have had great luck with a product called CHROMA 2000 made by Presta. The bottle I have here has a website HTTP://www.malcopro.com. It is a cleaner/glaze and it works wonders on 20yr old acrylic enamel even though its made for clearcoat. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

let the redneck, feed upon this one. I would recomend that anyone in a hurry to sell a newer vehicle try this trick. take ordinary 10-30w synthetic motor oil to those light scratches and lightly wipe off with a clean towel. this trick worked well for us. we sold a 2003 toyota pickup that looked new and had been ran through a field of deer brush and had latteral scratches all the way down the body. the non-believer may try this trick on a small area and be amazed at all its glory. you should see what it can do for a old beater with 20 year old paint

10. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

Well without seeing the scratch it is hard to say. If the scratch is only in the clear I would use a no grit compound and work it with a slow speed buffer (1500 rpm) this will help heat and fill the scratch. I would stay away from sanding on clear unless you know how thick the clear is. I ran a detail shop at an Audi/VW/Volvo dealership for five years and there are some cool products to use. Hope this helps you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifAuto Magic has the product I was talking about, mostly auto dealers use it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif