Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I build an on board air compressor!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtn. burb, Apr 24, 2005.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I know we can build one cheap.

Idea's for compressor, lines, fittings.

I'm going to use a lg. fire extinguisher as the air tank. Mounted under hood.

Primary use - air up tires.

This is a CK5 low budget build. :D

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Find a york compressor at a junkyard for cheap! Attach to engine using homebuilt, or bought bracket. then run the lines!

3. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I have heard of people using the AC compressor to fill a cheap air tank(btw most stores sell them for $15-30 with air fittings on them usually about 10 -15gallons) I was told you cut the compressor output line, connect it to a water drain and filter, and then to the tank.
    I keep wanting to try it but never have the modivation. I'd be interested in hearing more about the how to myself.

4. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

I was debating building an electric onboard air set up myself. But with further research, I decided on a Co2 portable set up. You can take it from vehicle A to B, or whatever. a small welding tank and some fittings, have a welding gas shop fill it up once you have it all mod'd up with Co2 and your done. Make some brackets in the back of your truck if you don't want it flopping around. IMHO the better way. Only other option i've seen that's worth doing is removing the air compressor and installing a true "compressor" in place of it. that way you can run air tools or whatever. that's the best way, but I love my A/C. and in FL I need it. Hope that shines some light on this area.

5. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

For the AC type set up Ive included a few pics. The draw back of using an AC unit is they shouldnt be used for long cycles. I tried to use it to air up a mattress and got it real hot. This took a while to do as any compressor pump is designed to provide air in pressure and the overall quantity of air it is putting out say compared to a blow dryer is small. (better to use the little blow dryer type inflator for inflating air mattresses as they are designed for volume not pressure) The coolant that they circulate also includes oil for lubricating the compressor. When you use the AC compressor for making air you must manually add oil to it every so often so as to not burn up the pump.

Dont get the wrong idea, tha AC compressor will take care of any tire inflation, impact wrench no problem.

There is an intake and outlet port on the unit. I plumb for a minature filter/silencer you can get from grainger. I can simply open the filter and add some air tool oil.

The positives for using the AC compressor is that you probably already have all the brackets for it on your engine.

the AC compressor will make plenty of air and will easily fill a small hot dog shaped tank in no time. I use the same unloader switch you see on any standard air compressor. This is the same switch including the guage, unloader valve, etc. The unloader switch is wired to the clutch of the compressor and will simply start and stop the pump when it reaches the proper PSI.

The pics below show the compressor pump ready to install. the brass pipe sticking up is the intake and the small filter will attach directly to it. The othe line is the output and is set for 1/2" poly compression line to the tank. Make sure you use a check valve at the tank and a pressure safety valve in case the unloader fails to shut down the pump, it will open and allow excess air to bleed usually around 180 PSI.

Also I included a pic of the tank mounted and ready for final fittings.

01010002.JPG

01010003.JPG

01010004.JPG

7. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

also here is my thread for my completed engine that has the AC compressor mocked up on it .

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136065

I also forgot to add that I tapped the aluminum mounting block that normally attaches the AC lines the the compressor with 1/4" NPT which worked great.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. primr87

primr87 Registered Member

does anyone know how much a pto comressor costs that bolts to the 205 or where to find info on it

10. jrpeebles

jrpeebles Registered Member

Oooh, pto compressor.That sounds cool. My friends and I mostly run gas powered air compressors mounted in the beds of our trucks.You can run 3-4 air hoses at once and still air up quickly.I have Co2 as well and like the speed it provides but don't like paying to refill the bottle.

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I used a CO2 system for a while, tanks are cheap, refill are 16.00 and the regulators on ebay are under 40.00, just make sure to get one that goes to 160psi, alot of the cola system ones only adjust up to 60psi. I now use a standard chevy AC compresser with an inlet filter and a suction line attached to a ball valve, that way I can adjust the valve and it automatically draws oil in, but then I run a filter/water seperator to pull most of the leftover oil out of the lines. It's nice cause the compressors are practically free, and I already had the brackets on my 91 cop car motor.