Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I change my t-case oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka73, May 1, 2000.

1. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of changing my oils, tranny and t-case I already changed motor oil but my question is "How do I change the t-case oil I have never done this in my life so any help will be appreciate it my t-case is a 203 and 350 tranny thanks.

keep blazin !!!

2. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Draining the t-case is easy. Just unscrew the lower 1-2 bolts holding that circular plate thingy and oil will be pouring out. The th350 is a VERY messy operation. You must take the whole pan off, mounted with some 10-12 bolts (don´t remember). A tip is to take all but two bolts (keep those two at a diagonal pattern) out, then bend carefully with a screwdriver at the lowest "unbolted" corner. You see, the pan is "overfilled" so to speak. When you loosen the bolts it will start raining oil. Let it rain, and then do the bend thing (very easy, wouldn´t wanna dent the pan). The remaining oil will ofcourse be in the pan, for you to balance around [​IMG] when you´ve gotten all bolts out. While you´re at it, change the filter (under that square thing mounted by two bolts/screws, you´ll see what I mean when you look right up in the 350), and if you don´t wanna go through that messy operation again, get a pan with a drain plug. It took me two filter changes/pan removals before I got me one, and thats 1 too much[​IMG].

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Be careful if you do the tranny yourself too. Its not so critical with an engine or transfer case, but you need to be very clean when you work on an auto tranny. I've heard of stories before of guys blowing their trannys because they wiped out the pan with a regular red shop towel. Some of the fuzz from the rag clogged up the filter and blew it up. Way more sensitive than just regular old gears. I've always let a shop change the fluid in my autos. Now I have a 4-speed, so I do it myself.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Well, ofcourse you can´t leave anything that isn´t supposed to be there[​IMG] That´s common sense. If you feel uncertain about this thing then go ahead, get it to the shop. Heck, I´d do it for you but I live on the other side of the earth[​IMG]

Andreas

5. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice, this is some good stuff I should be able to do it my self but one more thing for the t-case do I use regular tranny oil or is it some special oil.

keep blazin !!!

6. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

There has been some discussion about this lately, regarding t-case oil. The np203 wants engine oil, but if something else than engine oil pours out when you drain it, refill it with the same type. My, am I fast with my answers today or what?[​IMG]

Andreas

7. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

either very fast or you have nothing to do (LOL) no offense, that's what happens to me when I have nothing to do at work I answer very fast cause that is the only thing that I'm doing reading and responding anyway thanks alot Andreas.

keep blazin !!!

8. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

No offense taken[​IMG]. Another tip is to wrap a towel around your wrist and make a knot, because when the oil starts to rain it will get on your arms and continue under your shirt. Eventually it will get to your armpits....and, well.....that´s a deodorant you won´t like very much [​IMG]. The towel will stop this.

Andreas

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey talking about that my very firt oil change that I did was about 6 years ago when I had my camaro, the same thing happened I removed the oil filter and all of a sudden I felt my armpit very very warm, looked down and my arm was full of oil and my armpit was all black but I still didn't use any towels or anything, but that tip sounds very good should come in handy for my oil change.

keep blazin !!!

10. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Aha! So you´re a member of the secret slippy deodorant club too?[​IMG] When changing oil filter on a 350 engine, simply put a plastic bag over the filter and turn from the outside. The bag will get the remaining oil instead of your armpits[​IMG] Of course you´ll have to let the engine cool for a while before doing this, otherwise the plastic bag probably would melt and you´d look pretty stupid (with warm oil in your armpits AGAIN, haha)

Andreas

11. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Yes I know the feeling and dont want to feel it again thanks Andreas.

keep blazin !!!

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Andreas, I'm not saying that people leave entire rags in the bottom of their pans. I'm saying that a very tiny piece of lint or fuzz that is barely noticeable to the human eye can do irrepairable damage to an auto tranny. The same piece of fuzz would not damage an engine. Or a piece of dirt that blends into the color of the pan, etc. Its not common sense. People get used to working on an engine a certain way and if they work on an auto tranny the same way, they will run into trouble. All I can stress is "clean working environment."

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

When I change my transmission fluid and filter, I use plain old gasoline to get all the gunk off and then let it all evaporate off for a while... That seems to work for me... =)

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! DANGER!! <font color=black>Please keep safety in mind when you're maintaining your trucks. Turning yourself into a human porch-torch is NOT a good way to go! Brake cleaner works great at cleaning trans pans, and it evaporates faster than gas, leaves no residue, and is so much safer I can't even put it into words.
    BTW, I'm not judging anyone, I just don't like the thought of a fellow Blazer-er (??) going up in flames.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

15. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

HeHe. I'm good, but the gas was shaken out then let to evap for like forever. The time I used that I was so tired I went in and watched a movie and ate before I came back out... lol. Also used carb cleaner once. I love that stuff b/c it seems to work for anything. I have several products that I'd swear by though. Thanks for the concern, but my baby aint gonna be a torch anytime soon.

16. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

According to someone else in this forum, the NP203 uses 30 engine oil. That's what I put in mine a few weeks ago. Good Luck.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

17. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

yep....be careful of the gas....don't want anybody making an ashe of themselves....[​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

18. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

T-case oil summary

Can't remember who provided this information to me, but it's a nice summary of different transfer cases and specific lubricants: Chain drives (208 / 241 ) need ATF, full gear drives (205) need gear oil, and cases with a differential (203) need motor oil.