Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i check my gears???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Nov 18, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i was plannin on changin my tire size, but i need to know what gears im runnin, i gotta stock 87 blazer with the 700r4, 208 and the 350, plannin on runnin 35, but maybe 33's. any help appreciated...

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If you have the sticker in your glove compartment still that shows the RPO codes it'll be easier to find out. Do a search. There was a post with the codes just a few days ago.

If you don't have the sticker then you can either lift one tire off the gound and rotate the tire one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns when in neutral or pull the diff cover and look for the stamp inside.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

On older trucks like ours lots of stuff could have been changed by previous owners so I wouldn't trust the glovebox sticker too much. Better check physically using one of the methods mentioned in the post above this one. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I always recommend to remove the diff cover and look for the gear ratio stamped on the ring gear. It's a good opportunity to check the condition of the internals and put new gear oil in.
    -- Mike

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I did the tire turning method, but I did not get the same results. So I marked the ring gear with some chalk. Then turned the pinion till the ring gear made one full revolution.

If you just bought your truck or have had it for a while it is always good to pull the diff cover.

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

No need to mark the ring gear (assuming its stock). The tooth count is stamped in it. A 3.73 will have 41 11 stamped before the date code. if you divide 41 by 11 you get 3.72727272