Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I check the fuel press. in my TBI motor...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Apr 8, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You know, I have NEVER checked my FP in my truck and would like to check it to try to eliminate the fuel pump and/or filter from my hard-start problem equation...I assume I just unhook the feed line at the throttle body and plug in a gauge, correct?Where can I find a gauge with the correct fitting for the fuel line? ZI am adding an adjustable FP regulator to my 454 TBI...how will I know what the regulator is set at if I am checking the FP BEFORE it (the fuel) gets to the regulator? Thanks

Chris

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Give turbocity a call. I think they have the adapter you need to hook up a guage in line with the fuel feed. Any 0-30 psi guage designed for fluid will work.
    The only way to check/adjust the pressure is by having a guage in the feed line and leave everything hooked up to the TB
    The pressure in the fuel feed line is the injector pressure.
    All the regulator does is bleed off excess pressure over its set point to the return line.
    If you have an adjustable reg turing the screw in will raise pressure at the injector.
    backing it out lowers pressure.
    Disconnecting the fuel feed from the TB and putting a guage on the end of it will only tell how much pressure the pump puts out.
    I believe the stock pump puts out around 25 psi.
    Putting a guage on the return line will not give an accurate reading.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

So if I rig up a fitting on the feed line, say on the frame rail just forward of the fuel filter, that had a "T" in it where I could plug in a gauge, then whith every thing hooked up, I would get the real, regulated pressure reading?

I bet I can make something work...I will try to find something that will work and let you guys know..

Chris

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah just plumb in a threaded Tee on the downstream side of the fuel filter. That will work just fine and give the readings you need.