Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I choose gears for a mud pit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kyser_soze, Sep 19, 2004.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a 1986 Jimmy with 38.5 Claws running with a BBC 468 with a power band from 4500-6500 toping out at 7200 RPM. The pit is 200 feet long. All the tables that I have seen on gears only list the vehicle at highway speeds and I am having a difficult time in choosing th right gears for that particular type of activity. I currently run dana 44 front and 14 bolt rears with 4.09's, under 4wd Lo, which seems a little doggish to me. Does anyone know where I can get this information at? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

what tranny??

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

currently I have a 700R4 with a 208 tcase but I do have a 350 turbo with a 205 which I can swith in but I hessitant because I would have to change driveshafts and change angle shims on my rear ends I have a 8 inch superlift suspension lift which changes the diveline considerably.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I woudln't waste the time or money on gears for that front axle. You will break it, and repeatedly.

If you're big into mud bogging, you're going to want something besides those claws.

6. jhama78

jhama78 Registered Member

[​IMG]

Bud of mines truck.... 650 hp 472BBC th400 np 205 d60 4.56 gears front 14B 4.88gears rear 44boggers f&r or swampers on the front depending on the pit

works well.. he ran a 4.80 in a 206 foot long pit last weekend....

7. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Why would he run 2 different gearsets from the front to rear? That makes no sense /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Other than that it looks and sounds like a nice rig.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it helps for the front tires to pull the truck better. (ie spin faster)
    if its for mud only, theres no problem with that.

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif hmm no kidding. I had never heard of that. Learn something new everyday /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

First get rid of those Baha-ha claws and put a set of Boggers on it.I would have at least 4.88 gears. You want maximum tire speed in the pit. if you keep the 44 front end maybe up grade to moser axles.I always run in 4-high in the deep sh!t /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would he run 2 different gearsets from the front to rear? That makes no sense /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Other than that it looks and sounds like a nice rig.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My wifes cousin does the same thing in his mud racing truck. He told me it that the rear had a habit of trying to "pass" up the front... something along those lines.. anyway, he said once they installed the different gears (I'm not sure what gears he's running, and where) but it now runs straight as an arrow down the pit. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Works for him I guess.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    My wifes cousin does the same thing in his mud racing truck. He told me it that the rear had a habit of trying to "pass" up the front... something along those lines.. anyway, he said once they installed the different gears (I'm not sure what gears he's running, and where) but it now runs straight as an arrow down the pit. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Works for him I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is total nonsense. I wish I could find the person who told him that crap and slap the living crap out of him. There is nothing to be gained by having your front tires spin faster, and to think so is completely foolish.

This last weekend the Boggers were all sinking to china, even the true mud racer trucks with big HP and cut boggers were sinking like crazy. The guys with big, wide swampers and lots of HP were doing MUCH better due to floatation.

Either way no question Interco owns every mud pit in this country. In fact, I've never seen another brand of tire win a mud bog.

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have actually heard of alot of mud racers doing this... Not an uncommon thing....

But everyone is saying the front would spin faster. Wouldn't the rear spin faster and the front spin slower with 4.56's in the front and 4.88's in the rear???

14. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    In fact, I've never seen another brand of tire win a mud bog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen Gateway Gumbo Monster Mudders take 1st place in many mud bogs, but you were still at home crappin' in your diaper back then. I have heard that the Monster Mudder isn't even made anymore.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, the lower the number, the faster the tires would spin.

I've heard of this crap too, watched people run with this setup, and never seen any advantage.

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You may be right but this just doesn't seem right to me.. You take two identical trucks and put them in a mud pit, one with 3.73's and 44's and the other with 4.88's and 44's. The truck with the 4.88's will be able to get the RPM's up better and hence more tire speed as the engine wont be bogging due to the numerically low 3.73's...

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Your gear selection depends on your HP. If you have huge HP numbers you can run a higher gear and get more wheelspeed out of it but if you don't have the power to turn the tires at the higher wheelspeed then you're just bogging down your motor.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You may be right but this just doesn't seem right to me.. You take two identical trucks and put them in a mud pit, one with 3.73's and 44's and the other with 4.88's and 44's. The truck with the 4.88's will be able to get the RPM's up better and hence more tire speed as the engine wont be bogging due to the numerically low 3.73's...

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about at the same RPM. If you're talking about the same truck with two different gearsets, the axle with the lower numbered gears is going to spin faster.

Unless you have seperate engines spinning your front and rear driveshafts, and if so, I'd like to see some pictures.

19. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have actually heard of alot of mud racers doing this... Not an uncommon thing....

But everyone is saying the front would spin faster. Wouldn't the rear spin faster and the front spin slower with 4.56's in the front and 4.88's in the rear???

[/ QUOTE ]

no that would be right... it would take 4.56 rotations of the driveshaft for 1 tire rotation and 4.88 rotations for the rear, since the front driveshaft is spinning the same as the rear the front tires would be rotating faster (the front is .3 pinion revolutions faster than the rear, thats not much till you figure in the tire size and actuall distance traveled).

[ QUOTE ]
    Why would he run 2 different gearsets from the front to rear? That makes no sense

[/ QUOTE ]

If the front is pulling more the ass end wont being trying to pass the front when you pop up out of ruts sideways /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Timmy, this is not uncommon and I dont know about mud bogs, but most all guys run a D44 in the mud drags... 5.13's may always be the answer but a D60 is not! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is mainly because of the targeted RPM range... most mud trucks are tuned (intake, header, open exhaust, probley a rev limiter) to run for higher RPM's (IE not a factory power band), thus allowing 4.88s to spin faster /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I currently run dana 44 front and 14 bolt rears with 4.09's, under 4wd Lo, which seems a little doggish to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now to me if I'm hitting the mud I dont think I would want to be in 4wheel low gear /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

with 38's and 4.10's on a non auto/overdrive I would think 4.56 or even 4.88's would be better for the mud... going from 4.10's to 4.56 will add a couple hundred RPMS and from 4.10's to 4.88 would probley add four to five hundred rpms

[ QUOTE ]
    currently I have a 700R4 with a 208 tcase

[/ QUOTE ]
    With your auto overdrive a 4.88 5.13 would be alot better /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif