Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I....(concerning torsion bars)

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, Feb 5, 2003.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I know there is already a post concerning IFS Torsion bars but if you don't mind question is a little less sophisticated as I am new at this..

I have never adjusted my torsion bars myself and It is something I would like to figure out just in case I would ever need to adjust them say a smidge for tires or something.

When I get under the truck what exactly am I looking for? How do I tell if they are turned properly (not too high not too low)? I have a 96 pickup if it matters on the years.

Thank you for any help you can give me. [​IMG]

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

follow the tbar from the lca to the xmember. there is an adjuster bolt that sits verticle in the xmember. you turn that with an 18mm socket and ratchet.

before you turn anything, you need to measure your truck's ride height. so, tape measure from the center of the center cap on the wheel to the lower lip of the fender directly above it. do that at all 4 wheels. then, compare the fronts. are they even?? how much lowre is the front than the rear? turn the adjuster bolts to get the fronts even with each other. then, you can safely set the fronts even or less than the rears. i like the rear on my truck a tad(.5"-.75") taller than the front. that way, when i'm driving and the truck is tilted back, it doesn't look all nose-up under acceleration /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Just like to add,if you raise front too much it will make it ride rougher cause you lose down wheel travel. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thank you both very much. I will take a look and see where it is at. (height wise). /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif