Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I create a web site?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spearchucker, Feb 17, 2005.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Those GoDaddy commercials worked on me, so I went to their site and found out that my name became available and I'd like to grab that. So what would I have to do in order to start up my own web site. I don't know exactly what my plans for it would be. It may be used as a web cam for security purposes so I'd like to keep it private if possible.

And out of curiousity, what would it take to make my home computer host my web page. I've got gigs of storage space and was thinking about hosting some pics/videos for some friends.

2. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

What type of internet connection do you have? Hopefully you have broadband and a router. Also, what operating system do you have?

I have hosted sites from my computer before, but I need to know the answers to these questions before I can help you further.

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The place that would have the security cam connection would only be dial-up since there isn't service for a faster connection there. It can either be XP pro, W2K pro, or my preference Linux or other Unix flavor, whatever would give me the most options basically. That wouldn't be the host computer though. The one I'm thinking about making a host has a DSL connection and running W2K pro. Or would it be better to switch it over to Linux? I don't have a router but I can get one.

4. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

Checkout this website. http://www.dyndns.org/
    It has some information about hosting a domain name from your own computer. I used to use it quite a bit. Check out the 'custom dns' section for more information about using a domain name that you purchased.

I prefer the router because of the added security. When you start hosting a site from your personal computer, you are opening up yourself to more frequent attacks from hackers. Be sure and only leave the http port and the dyndns ports open. Close everything else. Oh, and a lot of routers have dyndns support built in, otherwise you will have to use a dyndns client.

As for the OS, use whatever you are most comfortable with. You can get asp, and php running on either *nix or windows. There are also free databases like mysql that work great with php.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I don't have a lot of experience setting up webcams, so I won't be able to help you much there.

Also let me know if you go the php/mysql route. I have a book I would be willing to part with real cheap.