Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I crush the sleeve on a R&P swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Aug 23, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am doing my R&P swao this weekend and I have read everything there is to read about it. But I have a couple of questions about the pinion. How do I keep the pinion from turning when I am first removing the nut? Should I break it lose before I ever open the case or lift the tires off the ground? If not, how do I keep it from spinning while I try to get it off? Same goes for crushing the sleeve. How do I keep it from spinning when apply the 300-400 lb ft of torque to crush the sleeve? Do I put the carrier in place and the axle shafts and the tires and set it on the ground to do this?

I am puzzled. Maybe it will all be clearer once I tear into it, but right now I am confused. Help me Rhonda. Help, help me Rhonda.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You need a large pipe wrench or a large cresent wrench.
    Some have fabricated a piece that will fit over the yoke to hold it still but I just used a large pipe wrench and let it rest up against the floor pan.
    If your using a impact you can hold the yoke with your hand. You'll get some good vibrations going up your arm. But it can be done.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

To prevent having to apply 300-400 lbs to the pinion nut to begin crushing the sleeve, pre-crush it in a press. I have done it this way many times and it works very well. Measure the old crush sleeve and the new crush sleeve with a Micrometer and find the difference between the two. Then pre-crush the new one half of that difference. Then when you go to set the preload, it is much easier to crush it to the correct depth. Hope this made sense and helps. Good luck.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

That's a great idea. Hadn't even thought about it. That will keep me from having to apply much pressure at all to get to the correct preload, right? Since I haven't pulled my old one yet, how much will it crush? Is it a process by which I still need to be very careful so as not to go past the preload setting? And do you just use a bench vise for this? Or some other pressing device?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

5. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

That was going to be my suggestion, pre crush it a little. worked for me when i did mine

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I would use a hydraulic press for that.
    As far as pre-load you have to go with what rear it is and have an inch-pound torque wrench the dial type and tighten the pinion until you get to required pre-load.
    usualy around 10-15 inch-pounds.
    That is what the dail will register when you turn the pinion nut with the torque wrench.
    Hope that makes some sence.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>