Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i diagnose a blown head gasket with out pullin the head?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Aug 6, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

is there a way to tell for sure it is the gasket and not a cracked head without pullin a head off? if i do pull the head, will i be able to see from looking at the gasket that it is blown or will i have to have the head tanked? thanks,

jason

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Several possibilitys.

- Cyl to Cyl leak.
    Head gasket is leaking between cyls.
    Poor compression in two side-by-side cyls on the same bank. Possible "miss-fire" feeling when driven, two miss colored spark plugs. One bank will have higher than normal H/C readings, or possibly even smoke (black or white-ish in color). A leak-down test might result in hearing "air" from either intake or exhaust of the oposiing cyl. Might be temprature related.
    - Cyl to cooling system leak.
    Blown head gasket, or cracked head.
    Poor compression in one cyl. Leak-down test will result in bubbles in the radiator. High H/C readings at the radiator neck. Possible miss-fire, or dis-colored spark plug in one cyl. High H/C readings in one bank, whiteish smoke.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

this is my buddy's rig and he is down in the bay area. he took his rig to a shop and they told him it was a head gasket and that it was going to be 1800 bucks to fix it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

besides the rediculous price i was just wondering how they knew it was that with out tearing it down. they said he had two bad cylinders. i'm just guessing they were side by side, my buddy didn't ask. he was too busy picking his jaw off the floor after hearing the price. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i still think threre is a chance the head is cracked.

4. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

$1800.00 for a head gasket on a GM-SB ?!!!?
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

WOW, I could fly there, do the gasket, stay in a hotel, and still make a killing.
    Could you line up a few of your buddies with other mechanical difficulties?
    I'd be happy to take care of everyone's woes at similar rates.

Have toolbox, will travel, accepting Visa/Mastercard at all locations.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You need to advise us of exactly what it is doing to make him think he has a blown head gasket. (more details!)
    I'm having trouble with my truck right now. I suddenly started burning oil and blow smoke out of the right bank when I get on it.
    #4 & 6 are oil fouling but the truck still runs good. I figured it was a blown head gasket, bad rings or maybe valve guides. Due to a lack of equipment, I took it in and they did a leak down test and a few others.
    It turned out that all was good and they think I have a worped manifold. I think it is just a blown intake gasket that is sucking the oil vapors out of the motor and into the cylinders. I will be pulling it soon and will let you know the out come.
    Man! I'm glad it's not the rings!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I don't think I like the intake gaskets on Vortec heads anymore... Give me the old school ones that never blow.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Told ya that was a possability Dave...

DW

7. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    $1800.00 for a head gasket on a GM-SB ?!!!?
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

WOW, I could fly there, do the gasket, stay in a hotel, and still make a killing.
    Could you line up a few of your buddies with other mechanical difficulties?
    I'd be happy to take care of everyone's woes at similar rates.

Have toolbox, will travel, accepting Visa/Mastercard at all locations.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif sorry to butt in here, but that was just too funny

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Yep, just made my day. Manifolds are cake. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif You where right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    this is my buddy's rig and he is down in the bay area. he took his rig to a shop and they told him it was a head gasket and that it was going to be 1800 bucks to fix it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

besides the rediculous price i was just wondering how they knew it was that with out tearing it down. they said he had two bad cylinders. i'm just guessing they were side by side, my buddy didn't ask. he was too busy picking his jaw off the floor after hearing the price. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i still think threre is a chance the head is cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason,

Have your buddy PM Scott (4X4HIGH) or I can get him the number directly. If there's one person I trust in the Bay Area for ANYTHING engine related, it's Scott. He works up at Fremont Machine, and has been building engines there for the last 15 years.

He can probably give you some tests to try and might potientially take it on as an "after hours" project?...

Either way, I thought I'd throw that out there. He rebuilt my 402, and has helped me numerous times on my K5.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i'm not getting all the details i need and he is not as mechaincally inclined as most of us here, so he took it to a shop. he just said it was running poorly and cuttin out, ideling poorly, etc. not sure if he had coolent in his oil or blowing white smoke. he may not have noticed.

what i'm after is this, can a shop with all thier diagnostics (whatever that may be its just a 350) pinpoint for sure that its just the gasket with out tearing into it? i don't think so and i think physical inspection of the gasket and the head i s the only way to be sure. anyone agree with me or am i missing something.

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    He rebuilt my 402,

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg.....I thought you had a 396? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    He rebuilt my 402,

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg.....I thought you had a 396? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

396 + .030" = 402

D44 + .060" = D60 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

D44 + .060" = D60

Umm, I dunno....better add a min of $1000 (anymore)!