Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I disassemble a NP203???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, May 19, 2001.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm trying to remove the chain on this 203 I have for Grim, he needs a chain and its a brand new one in there after a rebuild. I also need to remove the rear tailcone for another ck5 member. Any tips would be appreciated....

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Its pretty staight forward. remove the attaching bolts.
    Whach out for some needle bearings. Remove a drift pin or two.
    Speare the case halfs with a lagre srew driver/chiel.
    I could use the front output yoke if it is the right one intersted in parting it out ?

3. Waxer

Sure am, how much are you willing to give for the front output yoke? Lemme know.

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

When you take the aluminum housing off the rear (be carefull,) you will see the rear output manshaft. On that shaft there is 93 or something like that differant needle bearings. Slip a 3/4 hose clamp on the mainshaft, and it will keep eveything together. Everything else is easy. Good luck! GOPHERKILLER

5. Waxer

Well everything is still complete except I took the bolts for that rear aluminum housing off and banged on the rear yoke and it wouldnt budge. Does the yoke have to come off first before the aluminum housing will come off?

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Never tried to remove the rear housing that way before, so it (yoke) may have to come off first, but a guess say's
    no it should'nt. Make sure you removed all 9 bolts. Do you know the vintage of this NP 203 ?
    Good luck

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Waxer. The tail cone is 2 peices. The smallest section you do have to remove the yoke to get it off the bigger section as I recall. You should be able to remove the the bolts that hold the bigger section to the cast iron main body and the whole thing should come off with the Diff comming with the tail assembly without having to pull the yoke. If you need to get the yokes off then you need to do it before you open the case. Loc the diff put put the caps back on the front yoke and put a pole through the yoke. then you can stand on the pole to lock down the rear yoke so you can take the nut off. Don't take the nut all the way off. Then you can do the same to get the front yoke loose. Now pull all the bolts on the big section of the tail housing and it should pull off once you break the seal.
    I think to get the chain out you will need to not only pull the rear cover/bearing support off but you will also need to pull the bolts that hold the front output to the case. This will let you slide the front drive gear out. Then you should have the slack needed to get the chain off the upper gear and it will come right out.
    Pulling the whole tail section off as I recall was pretty easy (been 3 years). I remember taking it and the diff to match up a part and the guy pulled the yoke off for me so I could put the shims in that I needed. The way it was built you can't take the small section off without pulling the yoke first. The 9 bolts sounds right for the little section. I think it was 12 for the big section.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>