Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I drain my np203, oddball??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Apr 2, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I installed a Milemarker 502 part time kit in my 203 and then proceeded to top it off with gear oil. Right as it topped off, I remembered that the 203 is supposed to be lubricated with MOTOR oil. Argh, dumbass. So, I figure I'll drain it and start over. Well, theres no drain plug on the case. I looked in the factory manual, chiltons, and haynes, and the pics they have show a drain plug on the bottom. But mine does not have it. However, it does have the boss where a drain plug is supposed to be drilled. So, I am wondering if it would be ok to drill the hole, and trust that the escaping fluid will flush out any metal bits caused by the drilling. After it is drained, I'll tap it for 3/8 npt and run some more fluid through it to flush any more bits of metal out. Does anyone know if there is anything just inside the case where the drain hole, that I should be worried about while drilling and tapping?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could take one of the bolts used to mount the transfer case to the adapter and that would drain a good amount of the oil in the transfer case

3. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

Take one of the bottom bolts outta the gear case cover on the back of the t-case. its that round cover on the back with all the bolts around it, i just take the bottom bolt out and it drains. Hope this pic works:
    [​IMG]

4. chevy_mud_84

chevy_mud_84 Registered Member

ok sorry pic didnt work

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

As said you can take out one of the cover bolts. This pic is of a NP205, but the covers look similar. Take out the lowest bolt on your cover, the yellow circle. Also, here is a link that says the two bottom bolts http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/47538/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Thanks, guys.

7. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Just go get a hand suction pump with a vinyl plastic hose. That's what I used when I drained my 203 in the '76. You definitely don't need to drill any holes.

8. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

I used to just loosen the rear cover bolts and crack it open, don't pull it all the way off cause those pesky needle bearings will fall out. Not really hard to get back on, just uneeded work.