Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i drain my tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Feb 14, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have a hose hooked to my fuel line right before the filter going into a can and it only dribbles with the key on or off. We also tried hooking up a pump but it only pumps out air (we did this for about 3 mins) and I know i was almost full /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the engine isn't running, the fuel pump won't keep pumping. (now I'm pretty sure you mean the '90)

There is a plug on the drivers side somewhere, disconnect that, and you should be able to "hotwire" that to make the pump work.

If you don't like that idea, put a floor jack under the tank, with a large piece of wood (like thick plywood) to keep from ruining the tank, and drop it that way. As long as the truck isn't 4' in the air, it's not that hard, even full, just go slow.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey shawn try cranking it. The fuel pump will only pump for like 3 sec if the key is turned on unless the engine is turned over. IIRC it recieves a signal from the dist or something.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Get a hose and syphion it out. How much fuel do you have in it?

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went to harbor freight and they had a fuel transfer pump for like $3.99. You stick one hose into the tank, one hose into whatever you want to put the fuel into, and then just give 1 or 2 pumps on the pump to get the siphon going and it transfers. Worked pretty good.

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

We hooked up this pump that the MK ordered from northern (some universal pump) and all that came out was the fumes no fuel. We ended up just lett ing it trickle all night. Its basically empty now woo hoo now to drop the tank. Thanks for all the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif