Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i drain tranny fluid from a 700r4, theres no drain plug wtf....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i want to save some of it cuz its brand new, i just gotta replace the gasket, is there a way to drain it without dropping the pan?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Nope. Drop the pan is the only way. You have to drop the pan anyway to replace the gasket so it really doesn't matter. You can get a drain plug welded into your pan. Or I think there is bolt in kits, but I have heard they leak.

3. Silver84k5

[censored] this is gonna be messy, damnit

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You can buy an aftermarket pan for your 700r from B&M - it comes with a drain plug. There's probably some other manufacturers that sell them too.

5. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

you'll have to take the pan off to drain it. Before you re-install it add a drain plug to it so next time it a lot cleaner. I got my drain pug kit from schucks

6. Silver84k5

heh its not my truck, i just didnt want to have to buy more tranny fluid, a lot of leaked all over the street, oh well i was able to catch some of it ;]

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My preferred method has always been to drill a ½" hole in the pan, and after the fluid drains out, drop the pan and add a $1.97 Summit drain plug kit.

8. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Something else to try. I got this hand pump from Pep Boys that is for fluid transfer. It has a long hose so that you can change your oil without pulling the drain plug (yeah, right). However, it works well to remove most of the fluid from the tranny pan before you pull it so the mess isn't as large. I think Mityvac makes it now. Just something else to try. I'd give you the name but I don't have that anymore, just the pump.

9. Silver84k5

thx everyone, luckily my dad just happend to pick up a bag of Kitty Litter yesterday so the wasnt bad as i thought

10. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Another trick is if you have a tranny cooler, stock or other wise, is to disconect the supply to the cooler and run the tube into a bucket. Start the vehicle and let it idle, the tranny will pump out the fluid, you must of course be pouring more ATF in to keep the level in the pan. This is a way to flush the tranny of old fluid, takes about a case till fresh starts coming out into the bucket. The best way is to drop the pan and install a drain plug.