Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i drop the tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Feb 14, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I cant drop it until the skid plate is out of the way. I cant remove the skidplate without droppig the hitch. Cant remove the hitch without removing the bumper. And cant remove the bumper because the hitch is in the way????? What am I doing wrong what am i missing????? I think I will go to bed for now and start again in the morning. Please help me /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dunno which year you are talking about, but if it's the '90, the hitch can stay in place. IIRC the bumper has to come off to get the skid plate off, but even if it didn't have to, I'd start with the bumper. Take the bumper off using the bumper bolts, not the bumper bracket bolts on the frame. Swivel on the ratchet will save you some headache.

HTH

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What yr are you talking about? what type of hitch? You shouldn't have to drop the bumper, maybey the hitch. If it is the '90, with the factory hitch you should only have to drop the skid plate, it is a little tricky getting the skidplate off, but it can be done without removing the hitch.

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

On my 88 The bumper had to come off first. I used a long extension and swivel socket. Remove the long metal trim piece, then dropped the hitch, then you can get to the skip plate and tank bolts.

5. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I will try the swivel socket. Sorry it is the 90. I dont know if it is the factory hitch. But the skid plate cant slide back enough to get off the back of the tank with the bumper on. On between too much coors light and it being 2 in the morning nothing was working. I am going to start up again now by trying to drop the bumper. Thanks for the replies keep the opinions coming please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The skidplate wouldnt come down due to the hitch.
    I couldnt remove the hitch because the bolts went up thru the frame rail. I couldnt get my hands between the tank and the frame so had to go in from the end, therefore the bumper had to come off to get to the bolts. The lower bumper bolts were difficult because they are at an upward angle. It was easier in the long run to remove everything especially since he is going to drop the tank.

Also, dont forget to disconnect the fuel and vent tubes. I dropped the tank down slightly using a floorjack so I could get my hands and arm in there from the riders rear wheel well.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know, I think I did have to screw with the skidplate to get it out. It would only come down so far even after being unbolted. Just pulled down on the front of the skidplate, the metal on the back is soft enough to bend easily, and let it slide free.

I don't think you can make it easier by pulling the skidplate...either you leave the hitch in place and deal with removing the tank around it, or try installing the hitch with the tank in place. Have fun trying that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help the rear is all done now. Shackle flipped and then moved back an inch with a zero rate. Thanks for all the help now for the front. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif