Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do I figure out gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowmoon, Sep 16, 2002.

1. yellowmoon

yellowmoon Registered Member

What is the easiest way to figure out what gears I have? I thought there was a way to spin the tires and count the revolutions of the drive line? I got one and a half rotation on the drive line (spinning one tire).

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you can do that you turn the tire one compleat turn and count how many times the driveline makes a compleat turn and it is also stamped on the ring gear /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look fot a tag on the diff. cover.

4. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Actually, you have to remove the diff cover and look at the numbers stamped on the Ring gear. That will tell you the number of teeth for both the ring and pinion, the ratio of which is what you are looking for. Do a search on this and you will find the key you need for number decoding (I don't know it).

Also, if he goes the route of spinning tires, won't he need to spin both tires one full rotation at the same time (hence requiring a buddy or pissed off spouse)? I think that's the reason you're getting onle 1.5 rotations by spinning one.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The D44 under the front of my Blazer has a tag attached to one of the bolts on the diff. cover with the gear ratio.

6. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Wasn't trying to piss on your parade, I just don't think that's stock for most axles (never seen or heard of it before).

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know how comman it is, but my Blazer was 100% factory stock. I bought it from the original owner. I asked if anything was done to the axles and he told me thier are the originals

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

GM put a tag on one of the bolts holding the dif cover on, on all of their 4x4 front axles. If it's not there, then the cover was removed at one time and the tag was never replaced.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll back Joe up on that one, I've seen lots of the tags. If they aren't there, they were removed at some point. The only foolproof way to know for sure is to look at teh stamp on the ring gear though. </font color>

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

You gotta double that figure due to the open diff, so you have about 3:1 gears, id say 3.08:1 is what you have.

11. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected.