Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I find out what carrier I have

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigwishlist, Aug 27, 2003.

1. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

I have a 91 GMC Jimmy with 3.42 gears. The ring gear is missing teeth and I need to replace them. I have a d44 for the front with 4.10 gears and am looking for 4.10 gears for the rear. I went to the local speed shop to get 4.10 gears and they asked me what carrier I had. I dont know and an looking for the answer. I want to keep the 10 bolt cause it has a posi in it. I can pull the diff cover and look but I dont know what Im looking for. Any advice would help. Thanks.

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I think what they are asking is which carrier do you have? I think the carrier is different for different gear ratios. For example a 3.42 carrier is the same as a 3.73 carrier, but a 4.56 carrier is different than a 3.08 carrier. I am not sure which ratios will need a different carrier. If you tell the repair shop that you have a 3.42 carrier, they ( /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifand the members here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) should know if you need a new carrier. Are you confused yet? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

Is there an RPO code that I could look up?

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you dont need a code. Tell them you have a 3 series carrier and you want 4;10 gears...... the split isnt until 4;56 like stated above.... (word to the wise. you could find a 14 bolt FF with 4.10's for cheaper then having new gears installed in your tenbolt, then you could buy a detroit for around 300-350...