Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i fix this broken steering shaft bearing!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Jun 25, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Need to fix this asap! Supposed to pick up fumes tommorow at the airport and then head to blazerfest. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG]
    This bearing in my steering shaft just broke and let loose a bunch of little ball bearings.
    [​IMG]

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Need Help ASAP! How do i fix this broken steering shaft bearing!?

This is not good.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

If you can't find it locally, it looks like either myself or Iceman might have the piece(s) you need.

4. Ryan B.

Bring it to blazerfest!!!!!!

But i still need to get it fixed before i drive it.. I guess i'm getting to pick and pull when the open tommorow morning. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Okay someone help me out here, I took off the bolt so the steering shaft dropped out... Then i took off the 3/4" nut so the steering wheel could come off... Then i can get the bearings and shaft out? This is what i should need to grab at the junkyard tommorow!

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

whats that bearing do? support the shaft? if thats all it does... take it to BF, get the part from those guys and do it up...

6. Ryan B.

Yeah, it supports the shaft side to side, but it also seems to support it keeping the shaft from moving up and down. I can now pull the steering wheel up and down like 3/4" exposing the horn mechanisim.

Are these steering shafts (and bearings) different between 1st and 2nd gen!?

7. Ryan B.

Alright, Got it fixed.
    I found some of the ball bearings... Then i found some other bearings i had laying around and took them apart to get the ball bearings out of them... after finding some the same size, using grease to hold all the balls in place i put the bearing back together and back onto the shaft. I think it should hold. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now back to start packing the truck for blazerfest again....

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hooty hoot... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Ryan B.

Just had to give ya a little scare fumes. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I should be back on schedule now.

I think i jinxed myself by commiting to be at the airport at a certain time... something had to break. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way i went to a few parts stores and they had no idea what i was looking for. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

BLAZERFEST YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI see how you guys are....Just think of all the people who were rooting for me NOT to make it.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

SUCKERS..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You are lucky you don't have a tilt column! The lower upper bearing went in mine. The inner race and all the balls fell out the steering column. No body sells the inner race! I ended up machining the shaft and tilt support to fit a 25 x 42mm bearing. What a PITA!