Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I flush my cooling system??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Dec 2, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The shop near me wants 75 to do it. Is that a good price? Sounds like a bit much to me. So how do I go about this? Thanks Mike

2. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

On anything, I pop the thermostat and the lower hose. Run a garden hose through the radiator and block until nothing but clear water runs out. Install a new t-stat and re-attach the lower hose. Then fill with straight, uncut antifreeze until it's full and I almost always end up with a 50/50 mixture because of the amount of water still in the block from flushing.

Most of those "mailer coupons" and ads for a cooling system flush, they drain the radiator and fill it with up to 2 gallons of new a/f. Doesn't sound much like a flush to me. That's why I do my own.

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

You can buy a flush kit at any auto parts store for around $6.00. Might not work quite as well. If your not having problems overheating, id just do it yourself.

4. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

when using the kits from the auto parts stores I found that a water supply line for a washing machine works alot better than the double female adapter that is used between the water hose and the "T" that you install in the heater line. I unhook the bottom radiator hose to drain the system as well. the plastic thing in the kit that goes on the radiator works better with a long piece of hose stuck in it so you can control where the flushed coolant dumps if you choose to use it. I just flushed and changed the coolant in my truck's system over the weekend.

5. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

You might want to check exactly what the shops flush entails. I brought in my car to get done because they have this new fandagled machine that pumps it clean, and I mean clean with some sort of scaling remover. It doesn't just change out for cleaner fluid it removes the build-up pretty good. I've never got the home kit to work that good. If you just want an exchange for cleaner fluid, then by all means DIY.

6. 84CUCV

Thanks for the help guys!! Mike

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used to flush mine without the kit, and now that I used it it does make a difference, it goes into the heater core, back to the engine so it does flush the whole system and after a couple of weeks the coolant is still clean.
    Without it I used to have rust back in one day.
    Just run the flushing fluid in the system for half an hour then dump it and back flush with the kit, you won't believe what comes out.

8. 84CUCV

What kind of kit was it? thanks Mike

9. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

The kit I use looks just like this kit.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Same one I used by Prestone.

11. 84CUCV

Thanks a lot guys. I will be doing it soon. Mike