Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get a title

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jerry303, Oct 22, 2003.

1. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

I bought a 1972 a while back from a guy that never got it running, so hadn't registered it in his name. It has two seperate titles that are both out of state, how do I go about getting one title? I'm in Littleton, Colorado (Jeffco)

Thanks

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Are one of the titles signed over to you? Does the VIN on the title match the truck? If so take it into your DMV and file for a new title. They will keep the one you give them and send you a new one. After you recieve the new one, keep the new one and burn the extra title.

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Out of state titles require a vin verification, so you have to drag the truck down to the dmv or emission station to get that done.

4. jerry303

That's great, how the hell am I suppose to do that?

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

By making it run???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. jerry303

Oh yeah and when I get pulled over for no plates just tell the cop that I'm on my way to get the title?

7. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

How did you get it to where it is now?

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

In Arizona at least you can get a 3 day permit to take the truck to and from the DMV and mechanics and such like that. So if it's not to hard to get it runnin well the permit could be an option. Good luck to ya.

Allan

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

In TX, you dont have to do the VIN verification if you arent going to register it. I also had to get a form filled out by the former owner. I dont know the laws in CO, they may be different.

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

you should be able to get a trip permit. it will last 3days and keeps you out of legal limbo in stuff like that.

11. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

There are a few possible soultions depending on a few variables. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

1> (You have a clear title signed by the (old) owner(s))...........................
    Call your local law enforcement agency. Tell them you need a VIN check. They will send and officer over to verify the VIN on the truck and the VIN on the title match. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2> You have no title for the truck.................Call your local DMV and ask for information on obtaining a "Sheriff title" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3> You have a title with no signatures(s) on it. (This one is a pain) You can either track down the previous owner, whose name is on the title (and legally owns your truck, BTW /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

Or contact the state that issued the title and see if they can help you, or lead you in the right direction. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hope this helped you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    You have two titles? You want a title that matches the vin plate riveted to the door jamb. Where the drivers door closes. That is considered the public vin #. Some people end up with a title for the door since it should have a federal safety certification label on it. this happens a lot when the door has been changed.

Moab dad is correct. You need a Vin Verification. Call up Littleton PD if you are in the city or try the Sheriffs office and tell them you need an out of state vin. In our area we will send an officer out to do the inspection. Takes about 5 minutes. They copy the vin off the truck and the title and make sure the truck looks legal. IE good glass tires and they may check the lights.

In some places the DMV will give you a 3 day temporary or maybe just a one day temp if no one will come out to the house. If you know any officers ask them to do it. They just verify the vin and check to see if it has been reported stolen. Any officer can do it.

Once you get that done you take the vin form and your title to the DMV and they will take both and issue a new title. It may have to be mailed to you.