Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get fuel to the TB?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlackDog714, Oct 2, 2004.

1. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I am almost done with the 92 motor swap into my 85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. Since i got the engine from the yard, it has no fuel lines to the back of the TB. Does anyone know the thread pitch for the fittings? I think I can just use barbed fittings because its only 15PSI. Oh yea, the lines from the dealer are $75 EACH /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'd check some more on the OE lines, the ones on my 91 use an o-ring (similar to 81+ power steering pressure hoses). I agree the barbed fittings should work ok ("Push Loks" would be real nice).

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

The fittings on my '91 TBI are 14mm and 16mm Saginaw o-ring fittings. The 14 is for the return and the 16 the feed. I guess that is so they don't get mixed up. In my TPI swap I decided to just make the lines from all Earl's fittings and hose. A little pricy, but I got to put them right where I wanted them. And let's not forget the bling factor!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TBI lines fit right into my TPI lines, Earl's is pretty much the only way to go unless you want to use clamps.

Comment about TBI lines to TPI was made because TPI flexible rubber/steel lines are plentiful...almost every FWD GM car from the 80's and 90's used the same fittings. Only problem (again) is adapting them to a "standard" fitting, which Earl's does, but increases the price of running fuel line quite a bit.

At one time I saw "repair" lines at Napa that had the Saginaw ends, so theoretically you could use those, and flare the ends for rubber line.

The saginaw fittings are made using the line itself, so you can't just buy the fittings. Almost no one (I didn't talk to one place/person in the Seattle area that did) can "make" those Saginaw ends either, it apparently requires a VERY specific machine that is costly.