Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do i get my choke to stay on/closed longer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Feb 13, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i have an edelpuke on my DD 86 and its a 1406 with the electric choke. i have it adjusted almost all the way down- meaning shuts big time even after a little cool down. still it opens up before it reaches operating temp and proceeds to idle like sh!t and die. also- due to having the choke so advanced- if i shut the truck off for say 1/2 hr and go back to start it, it's chokes itself and i have to hold the pedal to the floor to started it. so the choke comes on strong but opens up too soon. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anyone???

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Almost sounds like there are other issues, or the choke is not adjusted correctly........buy to answer your question, with an electric choke, you can hook splice a switch into the line. Open the switch and current it cut to the choke (i.e. not open), you can then turn the switch on and off as needed. If you wanted to get real fancy you could wire in a potentiometer or rheostat to adjust how much current (i.e. heat) is sent to the choke which will cause it to heat faster/slower. You will have to contact a local radio shack or somebody that knows electronics to give you the proper resistance for the "pot".

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That is exactly what I ended up doing on mine. Adjusted it all over the place until finally I just put a switch in the wire for the choke. I let it warm up until it starts to read on the temp gauge and then I throw the switch. seems to work pretty well. Mine is a Holley by the way.

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Seems like a cool idea but might as well just put a manual choke on it. i've had the best luck with the old q jet devorced style chokes. might through a switch on and see if i like it. if not i'll go manual

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Jason Have you adjusted the fast idle yet that will help big time.

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

no. i'm edelbrock stupid. i only know q-jets /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif you'll have to come show me how this weekend.

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

colin, what primary jet number did you go with. i went from a 389 to a 385. i think i could even go leaner.