Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get the dash pad off?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sdavid, Mar 23, 2003.

1. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I took out the 4 screws and lifted up, but no go. I noticed there is a couple of thin metal bands that seem to be molded into the dash pad that look to be riveted to the metal dash. I have taken the dash off of many '73-'91s, but never a 1st gen. It is a '72 GMC truck. Thanks.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I took out the 4 screws and lifted up, but no go. I noticed there is a couple of thin metal bands that seem to be molded into the dash pad that look to be riveted to the metal dash. I have taken the dash off of many '73-'91s, but never a 1st gen. It is a '72 GMC truck. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to get up under the dahs and remove about 7 nuts under the dash metal panel, theres studs molded into bottom side of the pad, and youll probably have to gut the entire dash to have room to get under it, like remove the glovebox assembly and radio and a/c controls and instrument panel, i think theyre 3/8"

its not fun on a first gen to remove dashpad, its basically the first thing to put on the dash in these trucks,

good luck

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Well, that is a little more work than I expected. What do most people do when their dash is cracked to pieces? Go with the overlay, new molded dash pad, or go with out a dash pad.

4. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

Randy has it right. Without pulling the glove box, radio and instrument package, you can't get to all 7 little nuts, unless you have long arms and very small hands. It's a total PITA. In the mid '80s when you couldn't get trim parts from the dealers anymore and no aftermarket vendors existed, I peeled off the cracked outer dashpad plastic chunks from my '68 Stepside and reskinned it with a saddle colored naugahyde, using Barge's shoe glue and stretching the nauga across the front of the pad. This leaves little hospital corners on the ends where I had to tuck in, but it was acceptable.Now, most of the vendors sell the whole new pad for about $100 and it's a lot less hassle. I bought a bright blue one from Brothers in S. Calif, for my '71 Jimmy and it looks great.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I've done it without taking out the radio or heater controls, but you *need* to remove the dash cluster and the glove box. I don't have very small hands, but I did get cut up going through the dash opening (why did Chevy leave so many sharp edges in there?!?!?!?!).

FWIW, those plastic caps look like crap. Go with a repop dash pad.

6. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

you can rip the old pad off of the metal strip underneath, and then cut the strip with a die grinder. (that's what I did) however, you still have the dilemma of bolting up the new pad. I did not want to pull all of the crap out of the interior dashboard, so I got some plastic anchors and stuffed them in the old holes, and then pushed the new pad studs into the anchors, and then re-installed the forward screwa. It seems to be holding up so far, and it's easy to remove whenver you like, just put in some new plastic anchors.