Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get the dipstick back in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txbartman, Oct 9, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, got the new motor installed in the truck. One problem, I forgot to put the dipstick in the block before putting it back in the rig. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Any recommendations for the easiest/best way to press the dipstick back into the block with it mounted in the rig?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Lightly tap the end with a hammer. It should slide in. I also put a dab of silicon on the end to help it seal.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Ho do you lightly tap on a curved end?

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i have used a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer, and put some silicone on it to help slide and seal once it is seated, just hold it in place at the position you want and lightly tap it in, if it has a lip around where it seats in the block you can tap on it with a chisel or punch to set it once it gets seated

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You didnt say it was curved. The ones I had were all strait. If you cant get it by twisting and pushing I dont know what to tell you. Maybe go buy a chrome strait one from the parts store. A few $'s.

6. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Try and slide a bolt down the tube so that the head covers the tube when seated,then tap on that. That way you won't distort the end if you want to give a little more persuasion. BTW, I LMAO seeing your post just in front of the "i gotta ? about women". I gotta grow up......

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There should be a collar (bulged metal ring) on the dipstick down where it goes into the block. I use a piece of brass (hard but softer than the dipstick metal) and place an edge agaist the collar and hit the brass with a hammer, hitting a different spot each time, this drives the dipstick in with minimal marking of the dipstick surface.

8. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If it has the buldge Leadfoot was describing, put a 1/2" (I think that is the right size) open end wrench above it but resting on it. Tap on the wrench "teeth" with a hammer.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

alec78: That sounds like a good way to do it. I will have to give it a try next time.

10. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I was thinkin the same thing..... That question sounds kinda personal for a 4x4 webpage. lol. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif