Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get the door to close tighter...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hathaway, May 4, 2001.

1. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

The door doesn't wiggle up and down or anything, it just doesn't close very tight any more. I get a bit of water leaking between the door seal and the door itself. REALLY annoying when you hit a mud the mud and have it drip down on your arm rest [​IMG] So if any one knows how to tighten the door up (passenger and drivers side) I'd really appreciate some directions.

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Well, if you are sure your bushings in the hinges are good, then the only other adjustment would be to move the striker bolt. I think you can move it back aprox. 1/4 of an inch or so. Its that big round thing on the door jam that the door latches to.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I'll give the striker a try, I seem to remember there being directions on that in my Haynes manual, guess i"ll have to dig that out. As for the bushings in the hinges....where would those be?

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I just installed new door weatherstripping and now the door has a real tight seal

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If the moving the striker deal dont work, you can always duct tape the door shut and get in "Duke Boys" style!!! [​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is supose to be a nylon bushing around the striker and it gives it up after about 10 years.If your door seems to be open just a hair when closed that is proably where the problem is. You can buy new strikers I think I have seen them in the HELP section at the parts store. Then just readjust the striker till the door closes. There is also another thing to look at. there is 2 seals at the top of the door. one is the regular seal that goes around the pinch weld and another is one along the top of the door that is supose to cut down wind noise. These are often left off when repainted. Door may also be out of adjustment becides the striker. there is a LOT of adjustment to be had on the door. the top of the door may be out some causing it not to seal at the top. Takes some playing with to figure out what way to move the door to correct these type issues.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

That one around the door is actually either optional or only came certain years, since it is not on all 81-91 doors. I'm thinking either trim package or just GM figured out later on that rubber on rubber sealed better.

Grim's right, if teh door still opens a tad bit when the latch is shut, striker bolt. If the door doesn't have to be slammed to latch, its probably not hinges. the door height, and top or bottom edge in/out adjustment, is controlled thorugh the door hinge bolts.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>