Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

how do I get the steering box off?HELP ASAP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Dec 4, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I unbolted 4 bolts that hold it to the frame, but then there is an arm that goes to a rod, the to the wheel. How can I get this apart? I don't see how to. I unbolted a bolt at the bottom of the steering box where the arm is, but that must be pressure fitted on becauyse it won't move. It looks like I am mangaling the rubber part and maybe other stuff where the grease nipples are underneath. HELP ASAP so I can finish for the day and come inside!

2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If I'm reading you right everything is unhooked except for where the steering box connects to the steering wheel right? There should be just 2 bolts to undo right where the funny round rubber thing is. (?ragjoint?) That should be it man /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if you take claming bolt off the steering box, oyu need a pitman arm puller. or you can take the draglink off (bar that goes to the steering arm on the knuckle) and use a tierod seperator, looks like a tapered tuning fork, to get that off. you may beable to use a big pry bar to get the drag link from the pitman arm (arm on the steering box)

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

nevermind it sounds like your talking about the pitman arm. if thats the case take the bolt you undid out and just bang it off with a hammer.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah sounds like I need special tools /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I will try to bang it off with a hammer...

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I never realized how heavy the steering box is /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    I tried to rebolt it back to the frame so I could knock off the arm that attaches to it. No way, that didn't happen. I gave up and went into the shop and sat. Then came inside.
    I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I will try again tomorrow I guess

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Steve what are you trying to do? You can always just remove the drag link at the knuckle, might be easier than bolting the box back up. Have someone hold a large pry bar under the ball joint on the steering arm end in an upward pressure. Then after the nut is removed, tap the side of the round metal surrounding the ball joint w/ a hammer. It should pop right off and you will be able to remove you box away from the vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I just did this two days ago. I was gonna just he man it up under there with one hand and put the bolts in with the other /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif so about 10 minutes of that and i went and got someone to help me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

What does one of them there steerin boxes weigh?

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I bought a new steering box the shipping weight was listed at 30 pounds.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What does one of them there steerin boxes weigh?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 5 lbs more than you want to drop on your fingers. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

hahaha, Well thats true. You should be albe to do a 30lb one arm lift. I spose its probably in some awkward as heck position and hard as heck to hold. That always happens to me.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

30 pounds sounds close /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I don't know how to explain it, because I don't know anything about steering parts. But I unbolted it from the frame like I said, then underneath the steering box, there was a arm of some sort (pitman arm???) that connected to the steering box on one end, then on the other end there was a bolt sticking up, with a nut, and a cotter pin through it that was connect to a short round rod, that connect to a "C" sort of shaped thing on the axle (steering knuckle?) I will see if I have a pic...

[​IMG]
    I unscrewed 3 nuts that (what I thought) connected the "C" shaped thing to the axle (steering knuckle????) and tried to take it off from there, and that didn't move!
    Then I tried to unbolt the nut, bolt part, and cotter pin that connected to the (pitman arm???) and the round rod. That that didn't do much. So then I tried the (pitman arm) where it connected to the steering box, I unbolted the bolt that clamped the arm onto the steering box, and tried to hammer it off. Didn't move /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hahaha, Well thats true. You should be albe to do a 30lb one arm lift. I spose its probably in some awkward as heck position and hard as heck to hold. That always happens to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can lift it up with 1 arm, but it's awkward as heck, and it's still connected to a bunch of things, so when I go to move it, it yanks around, and I can't get it flush against the frame to re-bolt it up. I dropped it on my thumb, wasn't to happy after that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I hear taking off a steering arm "round c thing" is a b****. They get seized on there like you wouldn't belive. You'd have better luck taking the "round rod" (drag link I think) off the steering arm with the correct tool or the pitman arm off the steering box with a puller.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hear taking off a steering arm "round c thing" is a b****. They get seized on there like you wouldn't belive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had any problems. Maybe people swing their hammers like girls?

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So either way, my best bet is to rent a puller/tool?

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Steve..
    Buy a pickle fork and stop screwing around.
    I just took one off 2 days ago and had it off in under 5 minutes.
    Don't try to remove the pitman arm or the steering arm.
    Just pop the pitman arm off the draglink and be done.
    Smacking the draglink socket a few times will usualy pop em out. Although it helps to have the box mounted on the frame.
    I would start with that.
    Jack up the front(chock the rear) till the wheels clear the ground, that should make manuvering the box back into position easier.
    2 people would make that task easier.
    You can buy a set of forks with interchangeable heads for $30 or so.
    I have a few for my IR air hammer that work pretty slick.
    The right tools for the job make it alot less frustrating.
    So ya spend some coin for a tool, you will use it again.
    I wrench for a living and will spend $80 on a socket that I will proly only use once a year in a heartbeat if it makes the job easier.
    Hang in there it's almost out. At least it aint a 120lb gearbox with 5 1" bolts that ya are trying to start. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I tried to rent a set today, I don't have 30 bucks to spend right now...
    They didn't have it, they have tie rod and ball joint pullers, what one will work?
    Thanks for the help!

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

anyone know?