Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do i get the tailshaft off of a 241 C transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I am not quite sure how to remove the tailshaft off of a 241 C transfer case can someone who know the steps please tell me i would appriciate it very much /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif.

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

remove the drive shaft, drain the fluid, un hook the speedo cable(or vss). un bolt it from the t case. now its a little trickey, sometimes the gasket(or rtv)is like glue and wont let it go, i usually tap the end of the tail shaft in all directions with a rubber mallet and it will pop right off, if not VERY CAREFULLY use a thick putty knife and try prying it off at the t case, i wouldnt use a screw driver for it may crack the case. it should pop right off

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

On my 90, the rear most piece (the "rear tailshaft housing" or something like that) didn't have the speedo cable on it. The cable was on the next piece toward the engine.

Like mil said, just unbolt the driveshaft from the rear axle yoke, slide it out of the case, unbolt the housing, and tap it gently with a rubber mallet to get it to come free. Be real careful with it. No metal hammers or screwdrivers. The thing's only aluminum and pieces pop right off (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ). Also be careful of the splined shaft that's now exposed.

4. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

somethings is holding it from the other side. I tried to sperate it but it wouldnt come off. I even seperated the gasket but its still not budging....why not /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. Pics of case

Thanks,Marshall

5. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, there is a snap ring that holds the shaft in place against the bearing retainer. What you will have to do is remove the outer tail-shaft "shell" to gain access to the snap ring, then remove it and the other "shell" should then come off. I attached a few lame pics here so you can see inside of it. Also, it may help if you remove the VSS from the tail shaft assembly. It appears I did, but I don't remember if it was necessary to get the tail shaft off or not. Hope this helps.

6. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

allright...thanks for the help i would have never figure that out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Thanks again,Marshall