Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get the water out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 6, 2001.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I took my Blazer though some very high water and got water in the power steering unit. Its there a way that I cat bleed it?
    Thanks for the help.

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

the only way i could think of is by unhooking as hose and letting it drain out, but the way my service manual says to bleed air out of the system it to start the truck up for about two seconds, thurn it off, let it sit for a minute and repeat untill the air is out of the system.

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

thats about the only way, just drain it and then fill it up and bleed it as described above( a little easier if you turn your tires a couple of times and maybe even jack up the front to do this)then check for water again...may have to do this a couple times to get it all out depending on how bad it is

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I got water in mine the other day as well. I took the spray part out of a spray bottle and stuck it down in the pump reservior and then used the empty bottle to basically pump the fluid out and put fresh back in cracked it and let it run a minute or two and did it again. It stopped moaning and I got my turning ability back. It was much cleaner that way than having to pull a hose loose.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

To bleed your power steering just jack your truck up in the air up front, start it, and turn the wheel back and forth a few times. Fill the fluid up and repeat if necessary.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

In theory, the oil should be heavier then the water so the water should float on top. Take a turkey baster and suck up as much water as possible. Off course the pump may have contaminated the fluid anyway so it'd still be a good idea to bleed it.

Stuck is a state of mind!

Mudstud
    76K5 sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12 locked

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

ahh no, oil floats

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

So suck it from the bottom!!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How much has it been pumped? It might be mixed up pretty good and have to sit a long time before it all seperates again. The first thing I thought of while reading this was to jack the front up, disconnect the low pressure return line at the box (just the hose, leaving the fitting screwed in all the way), stick an extra hose on the now open box fitting and stick it in a waste oil container. Then get a quart (maybe more) of power steering fluid and stick the return hose still on the pump in the quart, start the engine, rotate the wheel a couple times, and you have kind of a flush action. I'm not sure if the pump will create suction through the return hose or if that's just a dump-in, so you might want to run it like that just real quick to find out if the resevior or the quart has lost fluid, then supply it appriately for the flush action. Just don't run the pump dry.
    I never tried that, but it sounds like it would work as long as you don't let it go dry.

Good luck!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**