Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I get to the body mount nuts in positions 2 & 3....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Jun 30, 2003.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'm hoping I can get to these without cutting the floor... my old ones are junk....

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If you are talking the mounts under the front floorboard and right behind the seats they can be gotten from underneath. The supports the mounts bolt to have nuts welded in so all you have to do is turn the bolt and hope the supports aren't rusted through.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

The nuts are either rusted through or stripped.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Both position #2 (front floor where your feet go) and postion #3 require cutting access panels in your floor to access the nuts. If the nuts are stripped, then you will have to cut the holes. But if they spun and broke the weld, you could use a MIG, drill a hole next to the nut from underneath, and weld it back down. Been there, done that, not fun.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've had to go in after spun nuts on several trucks and cars. Most of the time there is too much junk/rust to get a weld sufficient to hold while cranking the rusted bolt out of the rusty nut. YMMV. To get at it, if you have to, I've used air chisels, torch, hole saw, plasma cutter (in the body/frame shop years ago), etc. It just depends on where, how hard to get to, what's available, and how "nice" you want it when your done. Good luck, it's no fun any way you look at it...

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info...

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why GM decided to hide hardware like this after 72 id like to know,

theres a kid i know locally that has been working on putting an 84 2wd body on a 79 4x4, both pickups, and the body isnt all that clean, is rusted out in corners and stuff, but at least has floors, i think its no where near worth all the hassle of snapping bolts trying to get body off the 84 and onto the 79, not clean enough, but he has been doing it anyways and has the bodies swapped, but he has trouble with the cab mounts and snapped bolts.. he wants me to help him out of this, im not sure how i can without hurting the body more,.

good luck