Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How do I go about

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jan 15, 2001.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

finding the problem as to why my k5 pulls from side to side. Is this just the way it is with 33's(large tires). Have new steering stabilizer. New power steering pump. Whenever on unlevel road (paved) my k5 tracks to whatever way the road is banked. Especially when breaking just finds the ruts in the road and pulls massively. It has always done this to the point you have to fight with the sterring to keep in your lane. Just figure its time to correct or is this normal. Its definetly not my breaking system as every part from rotors, drum, calipers, and bearings are all new(less than 7.000 thousand miles). I'm thinking worn ball joints. Though no vibration in truck at all. How do you identify worn ball joints and how hard to replace??? Or whatelse could cause this? schocks? Fairly new tires and recently balanced and alligned. Need help

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a Bias ply tire....... When I had my MT Baja, it did the samething.....Radial tires end up not pathing on the road as much....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

James, My '91 did the same thing when I bought it. The previous owner had replaced ball joints, rod ends, tires, etc and didn't fix it. I read about the ORD Steering Brace on this forum and for $100 and a couple of hours work it fixed the problem. Check the ball joints first by jacking up a wheel and shaking the wheel, in-out, up-down, left-right to see if there is excess looseness. Fix that first if it is loose. If tight, make sure the steering box is bolted tight to the frame and no cracks in the frame. If OK, install the brace. It will prevent excessive frame flexure and that will tighten up the steering.
    You can come see mine if you are interested. I live in Santa Monica.

4. James

James 1/2 ton status

Yes. I am riding on 33x 14.50 MT baja belted. Definatley the most overpriced piece of sh!ts tires I every bought. But my truck even did this with my last radials I had??? Will be getting some BFG's soon. Maybe third time will be the charm??

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would follow toms advice and check everything out and also order the ord brace also check to see if the frame is cracked behind the steering box

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. James

James 1/2 ton status

Cool,
    I'll start there. Was thinking maybe 2 steering stabelizers might help??? Yah If you ever plan on going to Castaic lake. Drop me an email. Fun part of town of the weekend. Lots bikinis and T-backs. Plenty romm on the boats.
    Peace
    Jay

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Mine did the same thing, I installed the ORD steering brace and that fixed at least 75 percent of the wondering on the road, I coulnt believe it made that big of a differance, I just put up the ORD review, check the main page or the product review section.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

8. James

James 1/2 ton status

ORD brace it is. As always. Muchas gracias amigos
    James